Join now - be part of our community!

Software update December 2023

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Software update December 2023

Since the update on my tv a couple of weeks ago my tv freezes when I choose free view and  live catch-up. I keep soft resetting it by holding on off button but this does not cure it. I keep pressing random buttons and it eventually starts. Is there a solution to the problem.

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Realistically all you can try would be a full factory reset to take it back to OOB (out of box) condition. You will need to look in your user manual on how to do that. Disconnect everything apart from the aerial if you do this (USB devices, recorders, HDD etc) as you will be starting from 'new' in setting it all up. 

It is also always worth turning off and removing the power for a few minutes as well.

Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Thanks for that, worked great. Took a while but it is worth it. Took longer to sign in all the apps, Netflix etc.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I'm pleased to hear that worked OK.

One other thing to remember (I probably should have mentioned this first) is that you should be able to also clear the data and data caches for any apps as these can occasionally cause problems. Again you you would have to have a play around and look how to do this for your specific model.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-49xg7077/articles/00202...

profile.country.GB.title
Ian_m-K

Same problem here- very laggy, since the update. Shame Sony expect the customer to fix their flacky sw for them by doing a factory reset!

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

And after a few days it’s back to the way it was before the factory reset. I turn the tv on and I’m presented with a list of apps and if I press the one for free view I just get a blue screen with free view and catchup written on it and there it stays until I play around with buttons on remote and eventually it will go to the tv programmes.

I don’t really want to go down that road again as resetting all the passwords etc is a waste of time. As you say Sony should do something about their software updates.

think I’ll try to contact Sony direct.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Which software update are you referring to, version number please.

And which model of Sony TV did you apply it to?

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Hi

the tv is an KD49XH9505

software versionPKG6.6053.0712EUA

profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

Same TV and issue here. It’s the youview update that has left the TV unresponsive and unusable 

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Thanks for the heads up on this. I went to settings, apps and found you view and then uninstalled the latest update.  Fingers crossed it seems to work as it has gone back to the previous version.

i know we have smart tvs etc but I honestly don’t know what some people would do if they’re not technology minded. We just want a tv to work.