Join now - be part of our community!

Software update December 2023

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Software update December 2023

Since the update on my tv a couple of weeks ago my tv freezes when I choose free view and  live catch-up. I keep soft resetting it by holding on off button but this does not cure it. I keep pressing random buttons and it eventually starts. Is there a solution to the problem.

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
simdean
Explorer

I also have this problem. I find I have to 'force stop' the app in settings, then delete its data and cache. Have raised it with Sony support but not holding out much hope.

profile.country.GB.title
SonyRobby
Explorer

Uninstalling the Youview update and turning off app updates has resolved it for me, but I have also raised a ticket with Sony as I don't want to leave auto-updates off.  They have asked for lot's of info which I have provided, so I will put an update here if I get anything.

Also interesting for my TV model that the recent update is not mentioned on the Sony support page.

profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

Whilst I’ve had auto update turned off I noticed an update released to Android web viewer.  Installed this and noticed immediately that the original youview app loaded tv and film recommendations much quicker. Installed the youview update and so far so good. If it goes slow again I’ll just uninstall youview updates,  but so far so good. 

profile.country.GB.title
StokieChris

Have had rude and offensive e-mails from Retailer and a complete lack of help and interest from Sony over issues I have had trying to get used to my new TV

Terrible business model but it’s the way of the world now - sadly.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@StokieChris 

Can you please post them here and tell us who the retailer is, so future prospects know who to avoid?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
StokieChris

Hi @royabrown2 Message 1

Thanks for your interest, the sort of interest I foolishly thought a reputable company like Sony and Spatial would be interested in - silly me.

The company is Spatial found over Cheshire but as far as I can ascertain the head office is 

Craig Hi Fi Limited trading as SPATIAL, Unit 7 Alpha Business Park, Travellers Close, Welham Green, AL9 7NT (Company Registration Number 01283106)

My Sony XR-55A95K (£1999 + £30 installation) was purchased from :

Mr Kevin Rowlands SPATIAL NANTWICH | 01270 626471

2 Pillory St, Nantwich, CW5 5BD

Mr Rowlands setup TV and gave some tuition but it was too quick. Mr Rowlands said he was available for help anytime, even if I left a message  he would get back to me

I am 61 and have managed with tech pretty well but this TV is a step too far but I know with the way Sony, Hisense etc are dominating the market I need to get used to streaming now.

all I wanted from Mr Rowlands/Sony was some confidence in what I was doing. 

Mr Rowlands was only interested in his own agenda and showing how clever he was

I left it over xmas and approximately 6 weeks before decided. I needed help and approached Mr Rowlands

Rowlands - in my opinion was aggressive and arrogant from the get go and was questioning me on why I wanted to do certain things. In my opinion this was not in his job description.

I continued to seek help politely as I needed him but copied in the head office and there seemed to be a change in his nature and an apology was offered but it was too late and decided I was on my own.

I have spent two days solid on it now and feel as if I have made progress and am getting some confidence.

Sony`s lack of help and refusal to produce manuals is defenceless

Spatial/Kevin Rowlands will never have my custom again 

emails to and from Spatial/KR

Hi Mr Evans,

I am sorry to Hear about your issues with your TV. These seem to be related to on demand and playback on certain program apps. 

It's inevitable that Aerial transmits will go sooner rather that later, it's a fact that in 70 % of the UK population now use Demand as apposed to Live TV.

Giving a date on culling was never mention, merely stating a fact that all the TV‘s are smart to give some further proofing and giving free on demand services to an old and a dying ready available recording service.

On Demand Services have now been around over 10 years and this has reduced sales of recorders by 98% so most if not almost all manufacturers have Stopped making  recorders, Panasonic being one of the few  Hard drive recorders ( available from about £319) still available this  model has not changed in over 6 years but still available. 

On demand services are all indepentant. BBC( and unique to the Uk)  do not have adverts and depending if they have ownership of the program being broadcast. About 90 % are available to review at anytime. And can be rewind or fast forwarded.( going back 25 years on some Programmes) 

As regarding the  rest on the Apps like ITV X, All 4 and MY5 these are advertising channel apps so you have to watch the adverts but you can fast forward and rewind when there are no adverts on.

These are also unique to the UK, so again only installed on the TV at time of installation, these apps are individual to you, NOT the TV manufactor so they come and Go over the years. But these are what all the TV manufactors are doing or using. 

It you choose to use an app, Of which there are literally 1000’s you would have to use online instructions. But the will notice after a while the basic structure is very similar on all. 

As to What Programmes are Available at the time would depend on Copy right and ownership of said programme( recorders some how get around these things which broadcaster hate ( copyright issues)

So as it is NOT unique to TV’s  

TV manufacturers do not provide instruction books on APPS. 

The basis of the Apps is the same on ANY TV.

The app is almost identical on All TV manufacturers wether its a TV or a Tablet or a PC .

TVs have had the ability to watch programmes using this method and consumers have adopted this method as its cross platform( ie smart phone, Tablets, Pc and Tv’s.

You bought this TV for its best picture and Sound performance. Not for it ability to record. 

If you wish not the use the Smart functions on any TV you can. It would be a shame not too as pictures and Sound are often much better than Live TV too, ie BBC IPLAYER uses full HD and Ultra  HD.( not available or recording or Live TV. 

But ALL TV’s have the same Apps?

And you could still get a Recording box most are subscription like Sky or BT ( sky have also adapted a streaming services now to ( reducing the need to install Dishes) but (Customers have a choice but unless they ask they get the stream version as a standard as a new Customer) 

But like I mentioned Panasonic are still doing a recording starting at £319 .

Even if you bought the LG, the principle of using  the on demand is almost identical .

And the apps most certainly are. 

Using the TV as a Freeview or Youview as Sony use, is quite Simply at option that is free. And most have adopted. 

I would suggest getting a recorder to ease your anxiety towards this On demand technology ( even the green or Red Button Services is an BBC iplayer services which uses the App once its downloaded) again unique to the UK. So any instructions of how to use would have to come from WWW.BBC.CO.UK.

Then perhaps switching off the Apps as they would not be required ?

There are no TV’s manufacturers that offer Tv’s without smart.( not in there best interest)

I may of Mention that TV’s need Smart apps as its the only way you can get FULL HD ( 1080P lines and Ultra HD ( 4000 lines) services which will never be able on aerial or Satellite LIVE TV..

BBC HD Channel 101 is not Full HD is only 1080i or 720 HD Ready quality.

This had already happened with live TV and will only be available through a demand services hence the demise of Terrestrial Aerial And sooner rather that later you will be able to watch Live TV though internet services, thus aerials requirement for TV’s will disappear. 

Thats NOT SUGGESTING the demise of the transmission rather than it will no longer be required.( a bit like Fm radio over DAB RADIO or internet radio)And we Know what happens to things had are no longer required.

So with in 7-10 years TV’s will not require an aerial at all.

Certain sets like Samsung can get the main LIVE TV stations now though the apps without an aerial.

Customers already taking advantage of this when wanting TV’s in Garages and Bedrooms and not have  to pay for aerial installs.

Already happens with Sky’s  Sky Glass TV.

No Aerial or Satellite fitting on it to all.

I gave you nearly 2 Hours worth of Tutorial with the installation. And activated all the Services. All the Free Apps anyway which you will find is above and beyond most installs.

And would be happy at any stage to help you with this again.

They are not perfect, ITX x for instance wants you to subscribe to the Service to forward through adverts.

But the only way to get Full rewind and Pause is to buy a recorder or Subscribe to SKY or Bt. 

The average person take 4-6 weeks to learn and muscle memory to kick in.

I assure you it will get easier 😊 I promise you. 

Regards Kevin Rowlands

- - - 

profile.country.GB.title
StokieChris

One thing I would like to add @royabrown2 

is that prior to installation Mr Rowlands filled the of god into us with screen burn out and lake of cover from Spatial/Sony. Now it seems it is not so important !

Good salesman for Sony!spatial, dreadful for customers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@StokieChris 

I might have put it a little more tactfully, but your Mr Rowlands is very much on the money, and that’s a long email for somebody who obviously struggles with the written word…

So don’t be too hard on him. Sony TV manuals are reprehensible; and while I understand that they don’t want to be printing lots of paper that nobody will read and that they can’t keep up to date, and so a web manual is a good idea, they skim over a lot of stuff there, and often don’t go into near enough detail.

But, for what it’s worth, here are the manuals for your TV:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a95k-series/xr-55a95k/manuals

and you can print the web manual out, if you can’t get on with anything but a paper copy.

Though starting with the web manual; type ‘Recording’ into the Search box, and see if any of the 18 hits you get help at all.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
StokieChris

Hi  @royabrown2

Thanks for the advice - appreciatted

With regard to a little more tactfully, Mr Rowlands is lucky I was as tactfully as I was and I didn’t go into store which is what I felt like doing after his initial arrogance and that wouldn’t have been pleasant for either of us or any customers present - 19 years of dealing with a Child Support Agency teaches you a lot of dealing with arrogant people with agendas that refuse to listen.

Not enough people speak up against wrongs in this country and that is why we are in the mess we are but I take your opinion, apologies just sick of being ripped off (loads of trouble with contractors las 12 months after moving into a new, for us bungalow.

In my defence we even gave Mr Rowlands a tip just before Christmas.

Anyway position that’s  my position - sorry @royabrown2 lecture over ! 😁

Take care and thanks again for the manual.

Kindest of Regards

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
RonRoyce

My A85 OLED updated to A10 recently. Since then it's been slow, poor response, YouView suffering huge, random lags in performance with 1 minute+ waits between button presses or failing to start at all. This even after removing the update and stopping the TV from updating. Now TV and Disney+ suffer with random video stutter and audio breakup and the whole TV UI is just slower and suffers random lag, sometimes forcing me to mains restart the TV. I even tried a reset to factory, this only gave temporary respite. The TV is now as bad as it was after updating to A10.

Who the hell said this transition to A10 was good enough to go into the wild? I work in this field, there is no way I'd have let this sh!tshow go live.

I am seriously considering downloading the last A9 S/W package, installing that and not allowing the TV to update until Sony sort this out. Very poor show from a company I expected to do much better than this.