Join now - be part of our community!

Software update December 2023

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Software update December 2023

Since the update on my tv a couple of weeks ago my tv freezes when I choose free view and  live catch-up. I keep soft resetting it by holding on off button but this does not cure it. I keep pressing random buttons and it eventually starts. Is there a solution to the problem.

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
RonRoyce

Ref the 48 OLED It was the first year as I recall. And I don't think a TV is under warranty when an electric power surge is the cause. The owner of the TV explored that option and they were told to go through insurance, which is what they did. On further investigation my brother found the main board was badly damaged and couldn't be repaired so he bought a replacement on eBay and it worked just fine.

You can find the link to the Sony support page for that software of you Google it. It wasn't hard and in there I saw the list of models, none of which were mine.

Why should Sony go to the expensive of replacing my PCB? Because it was them that allowed a defective software to be installed with no method to reverse it back to the previous version. It's all very well saying that Sony are "working on a solution" but that's little comfort to customers that got the defective update and are having to put up with a TV that crashes randomly, suffers video stalling when playing streaming and audio breakup on streaming content, is as slow as a slug on start-up and that's just to name a few if the issues. It's a massive retrograde step in performance and Sony are dragging their heels on fixing it. We are months down the road from this going live then getting pulled, how much longer should I put up with a product that has been made defective by it's manufacturer?

As someone who still does TV development work and, funnily enough I'm currently on Android, I'm frankly astounded this got into the field. I would never have allowed a software with that many issues to be released on any of my projects. They were immediately obvious from the moment the TV woke up from the update so there is no excuse for it.

Sony are doing themselves no favours. I certainly won't be buying another TV of theirs if this is the way they go about correcting a mistake they have made.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Be a lamb and share the link to the pulled software update.

I can't find a link to the Sony download page for the UK version of v6.6053,

are you sure you are not looking at links to the Sony USA, or Asia Pacific

pages or other. The software there is not for the UK market, and the TVs listed all have different

model numbers compared to the UK/ European models.

profile.country.GB.title
RonRoyce

I think you're missing the point. My TV has a software in it that has made it's performance worse. This software was made available by Sony through the TVs update menu.

Whether the web page I am referring to is for the UK or not is largely irrelevant, the page for my TV lists the Android software it was on before Sony pushed this android 10 update onto it. The version currently in the TV is v6.6053.0712EUA and, I will repeat, was downloaded through the TVs system software update menu.

At this point I'm not particularly interested where I found the page showing the list of models. I'm more interested in getting my TV working satisfactorily, which it was until it updated to the software it now has.

And, as far as I'm concerned, waiting months for Sony to fix this with no end product in sight as yet is not satisfactory at all.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

I would never let my TV download and update software automatically.

I always download it from the Sony support site and wait about a month before installing

to see if any problems have been flagged.

You may not be interested where you found the page but I am, so as asked can you provide a link.

It is terrible that Sony are taking their time releasing a replacement update, but then they could be making sure there are no problems this time after all you don't want this update to be faulty too.

If Hannah says the update is coming soon it probably is.

profile.country.GB.title
simdean
Explorer

For what it's worth regarding the Live TV freezing issue.  I worked with Sony support on supplying video and diagnostics and they said they found the issue and that it'd be addressed in an app update.  It looks like that update landed last Friday as the issue hasn't occurred again after Friday's update.  

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi all,

An update is supposed to be rolled out in the Google Play Store for Live TV and Catchup/YouView apps that should address this issue. It has fixed it for a friend of mine.

profile.country.GB.title
mamtor59

• Exactly the same problem.

• “ Software update December 2023

Since the update on my tv a couple of weeks ago my tv freezes when I choose free view and  live catch-up. I keep soft resetting it by holding on off button but this does not cure it. I keep pressing random buttons and it eventually starts. Is there a solution to the problem.”

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi @mamtor59 

Did you check if the YouView app is up-to-date in the Google Play Store?

There was a recent update release to address such issue