Join now - be part of our community!

Software update December 2023

profile.country.GB.title
bob4janis

Software update December 2023

Since the update on my tv a couple of weeks ago my tv freezes when I choose free view and  live catch-up. I keep soft resetting it by holding on off button but this does not cure it. I keep pressing random buttons and it eventually starts. Is there a solution to the problem.

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
StokieChris

Hi RonRoyce

from experience and in my opinion the people who have given the go ahead will be the Techy heads who will have been lent  on by Sony management  to release and also have the knowledge to combat the issues created. Similar to the arrogance of the Spatia Salesman.

To many people are defensive of these issues when again my opinion ,more people need to speak the truth Ron

God help us when we go fully on to internet based TV. I will be haranguing the Dept of sport media and culture  after next GE. wont do any good but makes me feel better 

Take Care 

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
RogerBill

Our Sony Android TV that I didn't update to v6.6053 no longer displays a message saying that a software update is available and that 6.5076 is again the current version. This suggests that Sony has withdrawn the problematic v6.6053 update from release and I imagine that they are now working on fixing the problems.

I've been having HDD recording problems on our other Sony since updating it to v6.6053 in December. After many messages and emails Sony has yet to provide a solution. In my latest email I've asked if Sony are now working on a fix to the problems with v6.6053 and, if so, when I and their other customers can expect a resolution to the problems.

profile.country.GB.title
RonRoyce

Interesting. I am going to download v6.5076 and see if the TV will roll back to A9. I fear it won't due to secured bootloader restrictions and I'm stuck with this horror show until Sony fix it 🤬🤦‍♂️

profile.country.GB.title
StokieChris

Hi RonRoyce,

Sony have lost a loyal customer of many many years in me because of their disinterest in customer and seemingly non monitoring of sales (Spatiail in my case)

Good luck Ron

Kindest Regards

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

I've noticed that there have been a couple of updates to Android system web viewer in the play store over the last few days. I Installed one at the weekend and it restored my TV to a usable state on 6.6053 version. There was another update to Android system web view yesterday. I've installed and TV is still responsive. Hope this helps others. 

profile.country.GB.title
RogerBill

In reply to my latest email, Sony said:

"please note that our engineers confirmed the [HDD recording problem]:
We are aware of this issue and is currently under investigation by our software team.
Improvements will be introduced in a future update."

A step forward as they've now acknowledged that there is a problem with the v6.6053 software update rather than blaming my HDD! I wonder how long it will be before we see a new update that fixes the problems.

profile.country.GB.title
RonRoyce

I also discovered that unlike Reference Plus designs Sony do not support backdating of the software. So you're stuck with this horrible update until Sony fix it.

I have send them a message requesting they send an engineer to either backdate the software if they can or to replace my PCB with a board that has A9 installed on it. I don't see why I should have to put up with a TV that is performing worse thanks to them not doing due diligence on the software. They should remedy it.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hello RonRoyce, the SW can't be reverted to the oldest version neither can they change the PCB for you with an older version. There is going to be a new update soon, I suggest waiting for it.

profile.country.GB.title
RonRoyce

There are two problems with that answer.

1. The software is now Android 10, which is no longer available to download as an update from Sony's website. The latest version for the KD-55A85 is v6.5076 and mine is on v6.6053.

2. The KD-55A85 is not listed as a model when you check the compatibility list for v6.6053. So, in effect, it has incorrect software which Sony allowed to be downloaded by the TV via it's update menu and they have a duty to correct it.

This is a pretty poor show from a company that really should know and do better. A number of people now have TVs that work poorly and have no method to correct it without Sony intervening.

And I challenge you to explain to me why they can't fit a replacement main PCB with the correct Android 9 software installed. I worked in TV manufacturing for over 20 years and that is not believable. Also, my brother did exactly that for a Sony 48" OLED that had it's LAN socket fried because of a power surge. It was absolutely fine. It's replaceable all right, it's just whether Sony can be bothered.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Sony pulled the update to version v6.6053 when they realised there was problems with it.

So they reverted the downloads page to v6.5076 which was released in 2021.

Where do you see the compatibility list for v6.6053, the Sony support page for that update has been removed.

Normally the Sony support page will list a selection of the TVs the update is for, underneath that is a clickable

link in blue text "View All Applicable Models".

I doubt very much that the TV can install software that is not intended for it. There will be a file within the software package that has a list of all the Sony TVs the update is for and checks with the TV that the intended TV is on the list.

You probably can replace the board but why would you want to when Sony are working on an update to the software that will resolve the problems. And Sony won't want to go to that expense.

And what model of 48inch Sony oLED was it that your brother replaced the board on,

I think Sony only started supplying 48inch oLEDs just less than 2 years ago, and it should

still have been under warranty.