Join now - be part of our community!

Vtuner not working

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Rbell2010

Vtuner not working

Hi

I have not been able to access vtuner since Friday 5th September, I reported it to sony yesterday and the reply was "Unfortunately, our systems are currently down for maintenance and will be up and running within 24 hours, Please feel free to contact us again at that time.". 

Has anyone else not been able to access vtuner for 4days, it seems that being reliant on just one internet radio supplier may be like putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Having not had the internet radio service for 4 days I feel this is unacceptable, does anyone feel the same?

304 REPLIES 304
richardc79

@pisasax I seriously doubt that Sony can refuse that if you send it back. I know for sure that is not legal and probably they do that to scare people off of returning there device. I don't know how customer rigths are in Italy, but here a customer has more rights then the manufacturer/store.

vTuner is a part of the system and without that part the system is not fully functioning like it should be, so...

I've sended my 700ni back last week. As i can check for the status online at the repair department of the store where i bought it they returned/forwarded it to Sony right away, so that means that they cannot provide a solution. (duhh, we all know that only Sony can solve this with vTuner..) And they also know that.

I won't accept it back without a proper solution, even if the vTuner service will be available.

This because i don't have the warranty that it will last and i also now know that the support of Sony is equal to zero, nothing,nada.

Till that time i will check this forum to see if the vTuner service is getting back online and if there is any progress. If there is any, cause it is taking a month now. Unbelievable...

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

@ribrigg29 wrote:

Just thought i would have a look here regarding the V tuner problem, not been here since i got little response on the pass through problem with the 1040, which i eventually sorted myself.

Sent Sony an email and got the expected answer...totally unhelpful,

Still waiting for a response from V tuner, but not expecting a sensible reply soon!

So can i ask is this an firmware update problem that has just effected certain models (didn't see anything relating to the same problem with the 1050 which i am presuming runs pretty much the same software/firmware?)

Or is it just a licensing problem/dispute relating to certain models?

Thought i had left behind the annoying problems that seem to come with AV receiver's these days when i left Onkyo.

Just to add that the V tuner as advertised as being part of the receiver's spec/functions was also for me a major contributing factor in my decision to buy this particular receiver, so if it continues to be absent from the receiver's features i may consider contacting somebody regarding trades descriptions!

Another point being there is also the Music unlimited subscription service, but why cant Sony include other services so we can have a little choice in this like other makers do? its not like there is a monopoly on these net music services.

Firstly I'd be interested to hear about HDMI solutions for the 1040 if that relates to the non functional passthrough.

regarding the1050 I've checked the manuals and as far as I can see, it's the same kit bar more power and extra frills, and less HDMI out ports.

however as far as I can make out the 1050 has more flexibility than the 1040 in terms of selecting an internet radio provider. vTuner does not appear to be part of the build.

which is why I plan to exchange for one in the coming week. Yes I know it's another Sony, but I like the sound and connectivity meets my needs,

Sony's customer service has been appalling here.

Not only do they fail to keep us updated with useful information, but in respect of not offering an alternate service, even the so called Music Unlimited, at their cost, during this outage, is offensive and shameful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BollyDave wrote:
but in respect of not offering an alternate service, even the so called Music Unlimited, at their cost, during this outage, is offensive and shameful.

Sony are aware of this request and has been mentioned before, I also requested it today as well (as it seems the most logical temp solution).  Unfortunately they cannot/will not say either way if its on the cards....

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

@Quinnicus wrote:

@BollyDave wrote:
but in respect of not offering an alternate service, even the so called Music Unlimited, at their cost, during this outage, is offensive and shameful.

Sony are aware of this request and has been mentioned before, I also requested it today as well (as it seems the most logical temp solution).  Unfortunately they cannot/will not say either way if its on the cards....

It's good that a few of us are approaching Sony with the same, and not unreasonable suggestions against their wall of silence. I call it that as whilst "some" update has shown, let's be honest, it means nothing. 

Out of interest I made my weekly call for case update, as Sony do not seem to have the intelligence, nor courtesy to be proactive, and use details of registered owners to tell us what's happening via email.

guy I spoke to was clearly fed up of dealing with this one. After much head battering focusing on customer services (not tech support) who have been spectacularly uninvolved, i was told the problem would be fixed in 2 weeks. Amazed at this I asked if that meant they knew the issue. Then I was told it might be 2 days! So we're back at the making it up as they go along school of problem resolution then. At this point I told the guy it was clear that tech support were as much in the dark as us.

Hence my annoyance with customer services who should have stepped in long ago. I've raised a complaint to them ages ago, and the most that provoked was the robotic "sorry you've not had a satisfactory experience" response. 

I've concluded this is not going to be fixed, neither company cares and the whole support thing is a woeful charade. I'd happily stand to be corrected but there is no evidence whatsoever to encourage any positive thoughts. Once this is over and I have replacement kit I will formalise a further, and comprehensive complaint.

apart from helping others, I am done with this forum where the Sony organisation is concerned as it's all one way traffic.

I've contact Sony with the following message:

I am having the same issue described in your update regarding the Vtuner problems.
 Having read the numerous forum discussions about this, I can see that there isn't a solution as of today and that this problem has now dragged on for nearly one month.
 I also understand the need for Sony to protect its brand and/or legal position by spelling out exactly what the issue is.
 However, customer service in dealing with this issue is very poor, with your customers being given mixed messages (re-set the system / it will be fixed in 2 weeks etc) rather than stating, from the offset, that the issue is with the service and not the equipment.
 I recently became interested in Sony as a provider of audio equipment, after purchasing speakers made in the 1980s by yourselves. The level of craftmenship and audio quality is quite extraordinary given the price they were sold at. I hold Sony in high regard, please don't spoil this by patronising your customer base. Please let your affected customers know if a resolution is in sight and what the timescale is.
Thank you

profile.country.GB.title
ribrigg29

I am starting to wonder  just how Sony would respond to a large number of letters/emails from affected customers

stating that they require a refund/replacement due to the breach of sevice......

And possible legal involvement, I'm thinking the number must be in the 10s of thousands if world wide?

Maybe this would put a bomb under them, and make them a little more mindful of their poor customer relations.

Goodmorning,

I returned my Sony two days ago to the shop. Now I use a new Pioneer cd
receiver which also works with vtuner. And indeed it works perfect! No
Sony for me anymore.
profile.country.en_GB.title
wilsonmfw

I do not blame you! They have been shamefully abysmal in how they have
approached this problem and dealt with us, the customers.
profile.country.GB.title
Rbell2010

Hi

Vtuner has fallen out with sony and pulled a plug so vtuner is not accessible on sony streamers and this is all GB, Europe, Scandinavia and Australia.
Sony have not given the reason or given a fix for the problem this is after 4 weeks.
profile.country.GB.title
ribrigg29

Well I have just replied to Sony's email asking if the V tuner service will definitely be resumed, and asked for a definite date, and I have also outlined that should Sony fail to reinstate this service I will be requesting a refund in order to buy a replacement for my Sony receiver that does provide the V tuner service that was originally specified as part of the original features of my receiver.

Should I not get a satisfactory reply, I will be contacting UK trading standards and seeking consumer legal advice.