Join now - be part of our community!

SongPal (Music Center) and STR-DN1050

profile.country.SE.title
mitopic11
Explorer

SongPal (Music Center) and STR-DN1050

Hi,

Sony has recently dropped support for my 2,5-year old AV receiver STR-DN1050 and thus made it impossible for me to remotely control it via wi-if with my iPhone - which was the main reason for choosing this particular receiver over others within the same price class.

How is Sony going to help me?

The receiver is still being sold and marketed as wi-fi controllable by that very app although that support for my receiver has been dropped. I see much of bad will here. Appreciate a feedback, thank you.

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi mitopic11, 

Thanks for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you shortly.

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.SE.title
mitopic11
Explorer

I am thinking now about accepting a 50-euro reimbursement voucher as a solution for this problem.

I like though I finaly saw goodwill from Sony about this issue.

Reply per mail included amongst other things:

"Nevertheless we can understand your frustration, and would thus be willing to offer a retroactive reimbursement of €50.00 (current approximation 487 SEK) in acknowledgement of your loss of the feature."

I guess I'll have to accept this - I would rather see Sony replacing my 1050 with a newer version, with possible trade in.

So no - I am not closing the topic yet. The issue is not resolved yet.

We'll see how it develops..

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

OK, so I've just updated my phone and installed the 'new' songpal (music centre) app, and now I cannot control my home entertianment system. I never knew the app functionality would cease. (I would not have updated my phone otherwise).

My 1050 is mounted in a concealed cupboard (downstairs), and I use the app to control it from any room in my home. It is dual zone after all. The express reason I purchased this product was because I could control it from any room, without a TV! I use the app to play network stored music in upstairs bedrooms as one example.

Now, as Sony have disabled the app, the 1050 is completely useless to me.

This is no longer the product I purchased. 

I sent an email to sony before I stumbled on this thread. They have not replied yet, but after reading various things online (particulary the US thread), I am not holding out much hope of them fixing it. 

My question is: Has anybody returned their 1050 for a refund as a result of this loss of functionality? 

I purchased mine from Richer sounds (UK) 2 years ago. If I get no joy from sony I am going to take it back to store and demand a refund. Anybody else tried this?

As it stands at the moment I have a £500 'hunk of junk' in my house.

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Anybody from sony actually reading these posts and listening to customers?

Hello sony - are you there?

Seems you are happy to take our money via falsly advertising product features, but not so happy to put things right once you have destroyed a products functionality......

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Jason, and welcome to the community. 

It will be quicker for you to call Sony Support for some immediate advice on this. You can reach them on 0207 365 2810. Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

Phone support is a joke. Are sony going to resolve this situation?

There is a big discussion about it on the US site here: 

http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/STR-DN1050-and-Music-Center/m-p/637625#M16279

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

I see sony have deleted the massive US thread about this issue. They have done nothing to resolve the matter, they have just deleted all evidence of the unhappy customers. Disgusting behaviour from a company I once held in high esteem.

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Jason, 

You'll need to post about this over in the US community.  

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

@Pascale_Fwrote:

Hi Jason, 

You'll need to post about this over in the US community.  

Thanks,

Pascale

As stated, the US thread HAS BEEN DELETED by sony to hide all the negative comments people have made who are very angry about the situation.

I am very angry about this. I purchased the str-dn1050 specifically because of its multi-room capabilities. The unit was the centre of my home entertainment system. It is mounted in a concealed cupboard on the ground floor of my home. I used to use it to play music in zone 2 which is on the upper floor of my home. The only way to do that was to controll it over wifi using the music center app. 

Now that the app control has been disabled, I can no longer control my str-dn1050. It has not been transformed from the centre of my home entertainment system into a hunk of junk. 

I purchased the str-dn1050 because it was advertised as having wifi control. It no longer has wifi control. My purchase decision was based on a lie by sony. Sony has destroyed my product and stolen my money based on false advertising.

Sony US are deleting all evidence of this travesty.

Shame on sony.

Oh, and I am a UK customer. A very ANGRY UK customer.

A once loyal sony customer, with sony tvs, playstations, AV equipment etc. 

I will not buy another sony product until they resolve this issue.

I will continue to tell everybody I can reach about their dispicable actions relating to this issue.