Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot enable LTE on Xperia SP C5303

BW1
Visitor

Cannot enable LTE on Xperia SP C5303

Hi - I have an unbranded Xperia SP C5303 and I've recently taken out a SIM-only plan with Three UK.  Although I have a 4G enabled SIM, I cannot see the 4G/LTE option in the phone settings.  If I put my SIM card into an Xperia Z1, I can see the option and successfully connect to the 4G signal.  My phone is still on Android 4.1.2.  I used the Sony online chat support, but they didn't know why I can't see the 4G option, and suggested I do a 'repair' using PCC, but I'd really prefer not to do that, because I don't trust that it will properly restore all of my data.  Has anyone else had this issue?

59 REPLIES 59
XperiaNow
Visitor

I contacted my carrier's customer service once again to hear their explanation for inability to use 4G.

The trouble is that I was able to us 4G 6 months ago and now I can't. My Xperia SP was one of the first 4G capable mid range mobile phones on the market in Croatia (that's why I bought it). Now I can't use it anymore. I flashed 4 different firmwares last night including the original one as the last one. All in vain.

I'm waiting for the feedback from the carrier's customer service. I'm not willing to pay for the service I can't use.

XperiaNow
Visitor

@blackbox: I will try that too, but first, I want to hear the explanation from the carrier.

ChiisG
Visitor

Thanks blackbox,

Will look into flashing myself but will ave to backup my data first etc Slightly_smiling_Face

XperiaNow
Visitor

I solved the LTE problem.

I didn't hear from my carrier as announced previously, but instead I browsed the customer support part of their Web site in search of the internet access settings (APN name etc.).

Finally I found the settings for Xperia Z (as my carrier doesn't sell Xperia SP).

The problem was in automatic settings my carrier sends to a customer's phone as soon as a customer inserts the SIM card into the mobile phone. These automatic settings work but only for 2G and 3G and not for LTE. As soon as I changed APN name and authentication method according to instructions, LTE became available.

I didn't check APN settings because of two reasons:

1.) LTE worked for me until November 2013. After that I was in no need to use it but I noticed that I can't access it.

2.) I trusted my carrier and its automatic settings

They changed the APN name but didn't inform customers about it.

What I did in last 6 days to make LTE work:

1.) Paid an extra fee to access 4G at maximum speed (otherwise the speed would be limited or 4G access would be completely disabled - it is still not clear what would happen because the carrier won't give proper information on this)

2.) Changed my SIM card at carrier's customer support shop

3.) Changed 4 firmwares in Xperia SP (3 versions from other region close to me + 1 original)

4.) Contacted carrier's customer support over phone to check whether my status in their system is OK

5.) Went to carrier's customer support shop again where I bought a prepaid SIM card on which I activated LTE service to test it but it didn't work

I did all this to avoid sending my phone to the service center for repair.

prometej-zg
Contributor

@XperiaNow

Hmm, interesting, I also didn't notice the "change" of APN settings... very good catch!

(I didn't bother even to search for a solution until now, because LTE coverage is so lame, that there were no point in investigating any further)

LTE now works after these settings changed and a "crazy scientist" walk around the street block in a epic signal quest 🙂

We have a "naughty" provider, very "naughty" 🙂

ChiisG
Visitor

So what are the new LTE Apn settings then guys, you say that youve used a new lte apn setting but did not say what the new setting are Face_with_rolling_Eyes

prometej-zg
Contributor

Well, the "problem" was that our mobile network operator in Croatia (T-Mobile - Hrvatski Telekom) changed APN settings for Internet access, which is probably not useful for international usage, and that is why we didn't post any settings. If you are from Croatia and uses T-Mobile you can check this settings if they can help you.

prometej-zg
Contributor

@forum moderators: Something happened with my latest post on this thread (it dissapeared after posting) so here is again.

@ChiisG: The thing is that settings we were writing about are specific to Croatian network provider (T-Mobile - Hrvatski Telekom), so it is probably not useful for international usage. If you on the other hand are from Croatia, you can check settings on their FAQ page for Xperia Z,

ChiisG
Visitor

@prometej-zg wrote:

@forum moderators: Something happened with my latest post on this thread (it dissapeared after posting) so here is again.

@ChiisG: The thing is that settings we were writing about are specific to Croatian network provider (T-Mobile - Hrvatski Telekom), so it is probably not useful for international usage. If you on the other hand are from Croatia, you can check settings on their FAQ page for Xperia Z,

Thanks for clarifying prometej-zg, I am in the uk, my bad for assuming you were talking about a UK network Slightly_smiling_Face

ChiisG
Visitor

@prometej-zg

Thanks for clarifying prometej-zg, I am in the uk, my bad for assuming you were talking about a UK network Slightly_smiling_Face