Join now - be part of our community!

Changing saving settings

SOLVED
Not applicable

Changing saving settings

Can anyone please help me.

I have an 8gig micro sd card and none of my contacts, photos, songs or anything will save to it, they save to the phone instead and I don't know how to change it.

I would just jst the usb but my computer doesn't recoginse the phone on my computer either.

any help would be much appreciated!

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
suze
Leader

Hey Ellie,

Ok first of all can I just confirm whether you have an X10 mini or large?  I have a large and all the advice has been based on that as we are in the main X10 forum not the mini sub forum however its not very well sign posted to there!

My photos are saved in a file called DCIM and then in 100Andro, they aren't in the file called Pictures (yeah go figure!).

I still highly recommend downloading Astro from the market. It by default takes you to the contents of the sd card and you can just open up the folders and see whats in there.  You can't harm anything just by viewing it and it will give you an idea where things are being saved to.  There are no options on my stock app to say where photos are saved to, I thought that they were saved to the SD card as the internal memory would soon get filled up with pictures.

If you have a mini, things shouldn't be that different but obviously I don't know the menu route to settings in their.  The Astro app from the market should work in exactly the same way.

Let us know how you get along.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
suze
Leader

Hello Ellie, 

Ok first of all do you have a file manager on your phone. You can download this from the market... Astro or Linda are both good.  You can use this to see what is actually on your phone memory and your SD card.

On the PC front, when you connect the phone with the USB are you mounting the SD card by dragging down the notification bar on your phone and then tappig the USB symbol and tapping mount.  If you don't do this the PC can't see the card.  You then have to use the File Manager part of the Sony PC Companion package to copy and paste or browse whats on your card.

If with both pieces of advice you still can't gain any access to your card, it could be that the card is defective in some way.  The phone does give you the option to format your SD card but this will delete any information on the card and I would only use it as a last resort.

Have a go with the above suggestions and let us know what you find.

Not applicable

Thanks for that there suze, I haven't got a program to see the files on the phone mem or sd card.

I did the PC companion software so I can plug the phone into the comp and it now recoginses the SD card as on there, without having to take it out of the phone.Which is good.

I still have the issue though of when I am taking a photo it saves on the phone. I want to change the saving settings so that it automatically saves on to the SD card.

Now even though I have the companion software, I can't see the photo's that have been taken by my phone.

In the camera settings it says that it should automatically be save to the memoray card, but it isn't being saved on the card its being saved on the phone?

I don't know what else to do..

Cheers

suze
Leader

Hey Ellie,

Ok first of all can I just confirm whether you have an X10 mini or large?  I have a large and all the advice has been based on that as we are in the main X10 forum not the mini sub forum however its not very well sign posted to there!

My photos are saved in a file called DCIM and then in 100Andro, they aren't in the file called Pictures (yeah go figure!).

I still highly recommend downloading Astro from the market. It by default takes you to the contents of the sd card and you can just open up the folders and see whats in there.  You can't harm anything just by viewing it and it will give you an idea where things are being saved to.  There are no options on my stock app to say where photos are saved to, I thought that they were saved to the SD card as the internal memory would soon get filled up with pictures.

If you have a mini, things shouldn't be that different but obviously I don't know the menu route to settings in their.  The Astro app from the market should work in exactly the same way.

Let us know how you get along.

Not applicable

'My photos are saved in a file called DCIM and then in 100Andro, they aren't in the file called Pictures (yeah go figure!).'

There is a vaery good and simple reason for that

DCIM = Digital Camera Images.......I went and figured

suze
Leader

I did know that, but its not obvious to someone new to the phone and looking for photos... the obvious place to start might be in the file called 'Pictures'.  I hope we aren't in the business of trying to belittling people but helping out our fellow users.

Not applicable

It wasn't about belittling anybody - my repsonse to your 'go figure' was meant as a light hearted one.

DCIM has been used by digital cameras every time they format memory cards (well at least our Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Olympus cameras have) so the natural place (for me and I guess many others) to look for images from the camera is in the DCIM folder.

suze
Leader

Fair enough, maybe I am just having an over sensitive day.  Lets hope Ellie can find her pictures wherever they are stored.  Poor girl is being bombarded by emails from our posts!

Not applicable

I'm all for helping people but i wish that people would also help themselves - if you are not sure, it's always worth reading the manual..........................

"Contents » Photos in Sony Ericsson Mediascape » Browsing locally stored photos"

then a nice big picture followed by

"Camera roll"Photos you have taken and which are in the DCIM folder on your memory card

somebody at some point actually has to read the book

I didn't think you were being over sensitive though Slightly_smiling_Face

Not applicable

Yeah I have had a read through but it says that all images should be automatically saved to the SD card, but it isn't being... I don't know guys.. this is getting annoying..

I will do that Suze when I get home to my computer...

but I reckon I'm about ready to give up...

annoying...