Join now - be part of our community!

Device memory full, but internal storage empty

SOLVED
Howdsen
Visitor

Device memory full, but internal storage empty

Hi guys, i noticed that my phone has memory divided into two parts and those are device memory and internal storage. The problem is that the device memory has only 2 GB and the internal storge has11 GB, but i think that everything i download goes into the DM and now when i want to download something bigger it always cancels somewhere in the half way, and i think thats because it wants to save it in the DM but doesnt have enough free space. Any tips how i can make my mobile download things into theinternal storage or at least to my SD card. Any help would be appreciated 

20 REPLIES 20
Howdsen
Visitor

Thanks
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Anytime.

alexdon
Anelace
Visitor

before 4.1, my device memory was 8gb, but after update to 4.3 become 2gb, how to no seperate the device memory and internal storage, it feel **bleep** ><, 2gb is no enough use  T_T

profile.country.en_GB.title
manolan73
Visitor

Just to be clear, though, before the last upgrade (4.3?), I had an option with many apps to "move to internal storage".  Now I have the option "move to SD card".  When I contacted Sony Support about this, they said:

"We are sorry that your issues with moving the apps on your Xperia T from the Device Memory to the Internal Storage continue.

"With the software updates, often design features change and different options are implemented, and the technical aspects of transferring apps is one of these.  As this is part of the software on the handset and not a fault, we unfortunately would not be able to provide any further assistance in terms of transferring the apps through the menus.

"We can only possibly suggest seeing if there are any third-party file managers that will re-enable what you are trying to do, however cannot comment as to their efficacy."

So they're saying I can no longer move apps to internal memory through Settings.  But you are saying it will actually move the apps to internal memory, even though it is labelled "move to SD card".  Is that right?

At present, none of my apps that are on internal storage will update through Google Play: they all fail.  The correlation is perfect: I have no apps on phone memory that fail to update and every app on internal storage that has an update outstanding has failed!  I had assumed this was related, but perhaps it isn't.

Doulat
Visitor

Please let me know how to move app to internal memory... My device memory is running out of storage capacity
rammblings101
Visitor

I have exactly the same issue. I have a phone (Xperia S) which on paper has 32Gb of memory.... sounds good, no? However, the reality is that Sony - in its wisdom - has allocated just 2Gb to "device memory" and the remainder to "internal memory". Whilst some apps give you the option to store the app in either device memory or internal memory (the default is always device memory), the reality is that many apps (e.g. Dropbox, Google Search, Google Play Services, Chrome, Facebook, etc) do not give you such an option. The 5 apps listed take up 250Mb and cannot be moved to internal memory. I don't store too much on my phone itself (pictures, video etc) and have over 23Gb of available space in internal memory but the reality is that this is completely wasted. My limited 2Gb of device memory is getting to the point where I can no longer update existnig apps due to "insufficient memory", even though I have 23Gb fee of internal memory.

Is there no way to re-partition the 32Gb memory allocation so that more is available for device memory? With 32Gb available, providing just 2GB for device memory seems ludicrous!!

Miller1323
Visitor

I had the same issue. There is a thread over on xda about repartioning the internal storage on 4.1.2. I followed the steps for every word and now i have 7.5 gb device memory for apps and 5.3 gb internal storage for media files. Make sure you backup first though.

Screenshot_2014-12-30-19-16-46.png

Maginbulao
Visitor

hi guys, you have to be rooted for these proceduce first install linktosd apk then choose all the user app and change them to system app after the device has been rebooted. my device memory as before 334MB becomes 1.4GB free. 

P.S. "You have to be rooted!"

rammblings101
Visitor

Unfortunately, having to root the device and perform these tasks is not a great answer for the general user. So Sony have lost a customer here. I switched to Samsung Galaxy A3 which is a great value phone and am having no issues at all now. 32Gb storage with 16Gb for device memory, AND SD card to expand storage further.
alabaster
Visitor

thanx for the info do u remeber the link or the instructions to that..am failing to locate the thread and I really need the help.