Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
gebearm

Best to get rid of Sony & buy Samsung
fletchermatt55
Explorer

I have a Sony KDL-50W805C, there is no option button on the handset ? Can anyone advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fletchermatt55 - What are you trying to do?  Options are in the Action Menu now.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

@pajo100

Thanks for that but unfortunately on my Android TV 2015 KD-43X8307C  there still is no option for that under the Action Menu in the Guide.

1. I can select Digital for terrestrial digital which does have the full guide.

2. I can select General satellite for satelite but the Guide only updates if I visit the channel or a range (i.e. Channel 4 More 4 etc.) of channels.   The Home page of the guide updates from the internet with the range of programes on now and suggestions for later, this uses Gracenote but unfortunately unlike older Sony models the Guide itself does not update.

It's a shame because otherwise its a good TV.  Very very annoying.  Having bought nothing but Sony for years we alas moved to Samsung for our most recent purchase in the Kitchen TV, it has no such problems populating the Guide.

Hello 'no event information' strugglers

The problem you are having is caused by a conflict of channels, i.e HD & Internet, as they run on different

frequencies which may be higher or lower depending on geographical area's.

I suggest you delete non HD channels, basically any channels which are listed more than once on the tv 

guide & save your changes (depends on tv model)

If after deleting you have the same problem, you may just need to set the guide which can be done by 

switching to BBC 1 on tv, then with your remote select the channel down button an click a few times 

(depends on model as too how many times you change channel down), then select BBC1 then select

tv guide & this will solve the TV guide no event information issue.

😀😀😀😀😉

fletchermatt55
Explorer

I am not sure who you are, are you a Sony expert or a Community expert ?

Background. I was advised that the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) would be
populated for 7 days. This works for the digital TV service but not for the
Freesat. The freesat EPG only works when you select a channel to view , and
then it only populates the current and next program.

I purchased the TV on the understanding, from the salesman, that the EPG
facility was fully available.

I have been advised from the community to delete all duplicate entries on
the satellite channels and it will work, I am reluctant to do so as I am
not sure how to restore if this does not work. Also channel management is
very cumbersome.

I have also been advised by another community member that this feature does
not work, but it is available on Panasonic. This individual has purchased a
Panasonic TV.

Rather than continuing experimenting, I would like to return my TV, get my
money back, and go to another outlet and purchase a Panasonic.
Unfortunately the retail outlet I purchased the TV from says that , after
24 hours, it will only give me a credit note.

​I am happy to keep the TV if the EPG can be sorted. ​
​Can Sony assist me is either sorting the EPG problem, or arranging a cash
refund ?

Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @fletchermatt55

"I am not sure who you are, are you a Sony expert or a Community expert ?"

Im not too sure on who you are referring to on this, but underneath the persons avatar, indicates who they are and community 'ranking'

In regards to Freesat - Please let me state: Freesat is the company behind the satellite EPG, NONE of Sony's TVs are Freesat. If you was mis-sold this by the retailer, you will need to contact them to sort this out. 

These are the Freesat TVs:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/all-tvs

Can you please inform me either by replying here or via private message the following:

• Model of TV
  • The the retailer who advised you that this was Freesat

Cheers

Can't find options on my remote

Chickenfish
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Just wondering if you ever heard back from Sony?

Unlike others, I am very pleased that my XD80 has two Satellite receivers built in and I've been able to tune in all the freesat channels, despite Sony nor any reviewers mentioning anything about this possibility.

However, given that older TVs apparently had the ability to change the settings in the guide to "Launch guide and search" which meant the guide became fully functioning for satellite it is a shame the newer models don't allow this. It would be fantastic if Sony updated the software to allow this behaviour then it would basically be a fully functioning freesat tv even though it's not freesat! (Not sure I understand the difference)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Chickenfish

Unfortunately this is something that one must accept at current time.  I cannot see Sony's position changing any time soon.  The reasoning is basically that the TV is functioning as per design and it was never advertised as having a Freesat EPG.

I also pushed for a public statement or an official FAQ on this, but alas it seems to be too difficult to even do that 😞