Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
Chickenfish
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's a shame, would seem in Sony's interest as they could sell all these TVs as freesat compatible or some such. Still I'm pretty happy and it works ok with the sideview app.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Sony are just not interested, they have our money and can't be bothered to reply or fix the issue.

fletchermatt55
Explorer

Apologies Folks.

I am not technically educated.

I Purchased a Sony Bravia on the assurance from the Sales person that the
TV would support 7 Day EPG on both the Irish Digital channel and the
Freesat. Unfortunately,it did not work. Only on Freesat or Freeview.

I returned the TV, and in fairness, the sales team accepted it, and Sony
admitted it was not operational feature they supported.

I have subsequently purchased a cheaper 50 inch TV from another supplier.
It does not support a single EPG from two sources., but it does offer an
online app service that allows you to select a channel , through smart
device, without the service being identified. I can selcet the channel
without knowing whats on it. Sony, I believe , supplies a similar service.

My issue , I suspect , is a problem possibly unique to Ireland. The local
free service in Ireland is planning to launch a new integrated router,
which will merge the two services into a single EPG.

I intend to purchase the new router, and never again bye a 'smart' TV.

​I would point out, that the 'Sony comm​unity' room accepts no
responsibility for recommendations,I found this disturbing.

Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fletchermatt55 wrote:

​I would point out, that the 'Sony comm​unity' room accepts no
responsibility for recommendations,I found this disturbing.

Hi @fletchermatt55

I have just come across your post, and you mention this above - I dont understand ? Are you able to explain further?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I've noticed that Sony are now even discontinuing the sideview app on 24th May (with no reason  given) which means that the workaround of getting the satellite guide to show properly and sending a message to record has now been taken away. I know it's not the case but it seems Sony are determined to remove any satellite function  whatsoever. Really annoying. 

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

It's a poor show really from Sony.  This thread is marked as Solved when it clearly is not.   I have older model Sony TVs and the satellite guide works with the search option set.  The newer flagship 4K Android TVs have a totally rubbish guide which could be fixed if Sony cared.  I bought a tablet to use the Sideview app as an alternative whcih worked but now it appears that will go also in May.

Sony lied in the specs they released for my TV where it stated clearly that guide was available for satelitte and digital TV whilst the latter is the only one that works on newer TVs.  Unforgivable!  

Probably the last Sony product I will ever buy, which after 20 years and many many products this is so sad!

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

They are a typical big corporate company that pays no attention to its customer base.

Last time i buy any sony products, i suggest a boycott might just get their attention, also post you disappproval on facebook and twitter, they do seem to respond to that

profile.country.GB.title
RichardDDDDD
Explorer

The "Guide and Search" EPG is not as simple to use as the standard guide.

I rang Freesat support and I was told that the channel info is included in the satellite signal.

When I switch to a channel on my TV it does then show the current and next programme details in the standard guide so why is it not compiling that for the rest of the standard guide? It works fine for Freeview so why not Freesat?

If it works for Freesat set top boxes then why do our Sony TVs display "No Event Information" !?

Bikerdiverman

My satalite guide has never worked properly, to make matters worse, the chanels are in no sensible order, so finding out what is on tv a most basic requirement on a TV is nigh on imposible. Sony should pull their finger out and write a guide that displays th einformation present in teh satalite signal. If this is not resolved, it will be tha lst Sony TV I ever buy.

This is not good enough.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

Simple answer is that Sony chose to include a half finished product as a Guide for the latest Sony Android TVs.   Despite what the Sony techsheets said the about my model having a satellite EPG, it does not does not work unless you visit the satellite channel to update "no event information" to get only now and next.

I understand that the TV is not Freesat and the Guide (Gracenote) does have some capabilities such as suggesting programs but none work properly.   This is different from older models where there was a search option to allow the satelllite guide to be updated but in Sony wisdom they chose not to do this for newer TVs.  Apparently going backwards and telling lies in techsheets is an improvement.

The workaround was a great app called Sideview (phone or tablet) which has everything in the guide for satellite and also would organize and change to the program you wanted on the TV.  Unfortunately now Sony announced this guide will be discontinued in days!  They say no one is using it - my guess is no one is using it without logging into Facebook, Twitter or Sony Account but people are using it!

This is simply the worst Sony experience ever.  I have purchased Sony TVs forever but never again.  The great picture and some other functions are completly spoiled by poor implimentation.  Problem is I can do nothing other than move my business next time.

I mean really do we need a twitter feed and not proper EPG.   AS USUAL SILENCE WILL BE DEAFENING FROM SONY!