Join now - be part of our community!

ATI Drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
sherlock5368
Visitor

ATI Drivers

Is anyone able to tell me how to obtain and install a more recent driver for my ATI card? I have a VPCEB2C5E laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 and the driver on my laptop is the one that is listed on the Sony support site, dated from November 2010.

ATI(/AMD) update/debug/improve their drivers for all their products ~every month can I ask why Sony does not provide an updated driver say at least every 3months?

If any manufacturer is unwilling to provide support for part of their overall product, then it should not provide the hardware as part of the package. That applies for all hardware components of any product.

It is not just a question of bug fixes, it a question of responsibility, allowing a user to feel confident of the product that they have purchased and the confidence of support to the appropriate level.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.pl_PL.title
spolurOk1wzrul
Visitor

Yes this is annoying and seriously this is the last time i paid for any sony products, is almost 2012 and GPU driver for my ATI is from 2010... Hate sony for that and I do not recomend their product for my friends. I have ready at ATI site that they fix many bugs for gaming etc. But Sony dont give a single "funk" about it. They prefer make new products and push you to buy it if you want new driver for your old GPU.

Sorry for my bad english.

Message was edited by: Ali3n7

Message was edited by: Ali3n7

profile.country.nl_BE.title
DonBarto
New

Hi, I have a VPCEA4S1 (win 764-bit) with the same HD5470 GPU  and I've had problems with the drivers also. Since I bought it in februari 2011 there have been 2 updates from Sony through Vaio Update. Both these updates caused the Catalyst Control Center to crash (CCC stopped working). I re-installed the original driver various times now.

I also tried downloading new drivers straight from ATI:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx#3

This didn't work either because the ATI-installer mentioned incompatibilities with hard- or software... Contact manufacturer for update.

Try at your own risk,

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
rburton74uk
Visitor

I have been having the same problem with a VPCEB4X0E laptop.

I usually use a chrome varient called Iron as my main web browser, but I see the problem in both Firefox and IE9 as well.  I keep the browsers up to date, along with Vaio update, Windows update, Java, Acrobat and of course Flash, Quicktime and VLC player, but still get these problems in full screen Youtube videos.  I am running Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

When the problem happens, it is usually when I trying to watch a Youtube 720p or 1080p HD video at full screen on my Vaio VPCEB4X0E laptop.  The laptop should have more than enough power for this as it has a 2.6 GHz Core i5 processor, 8 GB ram, ATI mobility Radion HD5470 with 512 MB dedicated video ram and 1920x1080 display.

Playing during downloading or waiting until the full download has completed doesn't seem to matter, and the same video plays perfectly in either small or medium window in page.  Non-HD videos seem to work perfectly both in a window and full screen.

I've also had intermittent problems with the video on YouTube displaying a blank green screen too...

Is there ever going to be an official update to the ATI Catalyst drivers for my laptop?  I am currently running the "latest" and "best" version (as claimed by Windows driver update).  Vaio update isn't finding an update and ATI's own website and update tools say that I have to contact Sony for the driver!

Windows display settings say that I am currently running v8.723.8.2000 dated 20/09/2010.

ATI Catalyst control center says:
•Driver packaging version = 8.723.8.2-100920a-105610C-Sony
•2D Driver Version = 8.01.01.1016
•Catalyst Control Center Version = 2010.0920.2143.37117

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/  says that the latest version is 12.8 released on 15/08/2012.

Recently I've had several start-up / resume from sleep/hibernate or in-general-usage Blue Screen of Death crashes in Windows 7 which were attributed to the ATI driver causing the crash.

Can anyone advise of a fix, workaround or when an update will be available?

Regards

rburton74uk

UPDATE: I just managed to download and install the AMD driver from the above link, but I got a BSoD crash in the middle of the Express install.  However, on restart in normal mode everything seems to be functioning and I now have driver v 8.982.0.0, but no Catalyst control center...  Seems to be working ok as far as I can tell at the moment...  (I don't use any heavy 3D games or applications)

Message was edited by: -Soup-

personal details removed