Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Failure on Sony Vaio PCG-GRX316SP (UK Model)

gruuvebot
Visitor

Memory Failure on Sony Vaio PCG-GRX316SP (UK Model)

Hi All,

My VAIO: Sony VAIO PCG-GRX316SP, 1.7 GHz Pentium M, 512 MB Ram

I have been noticing over time my Vaio getting slower/sluggish and some unusual 'minor errors' at boot up, and in the general the system being a little shaky.

Recently, I notcied that the system was reporting only 256MB of RAM ( :anguished: !!!). More unfortunately my VAIO has passed its one year warranty. :cry:

I have tried reseating the memory modules, and I have also tried exchanging them from their original slots to see if there was a particular chip that was dead. But it boots up either way and reports 512MB ram.

I understand that their are other threads for the MP model, but I thought that I would start one for SPers.

Has anyone found a fix for this memory slot problem other than wedging something in between the cover and the chips? Sony Support is really expensive and often completely unhelpful. If anything it seems from all the posts that I have read that it may even be something engineered into the laptop - like the use of low quality solder or components for chip seats.

If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

Damian

40 REPLIES 40
m3bhp
Visitor

All computers tend to deteriorate software wise over time regardless of manufacturer - Windows operations can slow down along with general instability issues...
I have found that about 90% of these cases can be solved by formatting the (main) hard drive - after backing up all data :laughing: . Then carrying out a complete fresh reinstall onto the system. Although it takes a few hours to reinstall Windows and whatever other software the benefits of a stable system make it worthwhile.

gruuvebot
Visitor

All computers tend to deteriorate software wise over time regardless of manufacturer - Windows operations can slow down along with general instability issues... 
I have found that about 90% of these cases can be solved by formatting the (main) hard drive - after backing up all data :laughing: . Then carrying out a complete fresh reinstall onto the system. Although it takes a few hours to reinstall Windows and whatever other software the benefits of a stable system make it worthwhile.

I have made fresh installs of the OS and other software, but this still doesn't account for the ram 'disappearing'.

That was the real wuestion on my initial post. I have read posts about people having the same problems with their memory modules on GRX316MP, and I was wondering if anyone else had the smae problem on my particular model. More to the point does it affect the whole GRX range?

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

This is the faulty memory slot problem with the GRX series - I was lucky and had my warranty extended by a couple of months so I got the motherboard replaced free.

IMHO this is a manufacturing defect and Sony should sort out the problem.

kee-lo_

I haven't had this problem yet, and I really hope it doesn't happen, because my GRX is now 15 months old :tongue:

William
Visitor

At the mo, I have no problems with my 1Gb memory but do often check fearing the worst.

William

gruuvebot
Visitor

I have been reading lots of posts on VAIO websites about this problem, and it seems to affect users both in the US on their equivalent model and users of the SP and MP model in Europe.

I guess I am just going to have to get on the horn to Sony Customer services and try and wrangle this out with them.

This definitely looks like a hardware defect and should be covered by Sony regardless of warranty.

I'll keep you posted with how I go, but I will definitely be bringing in the legal eagles on this one.

Damian

kee-lo_

At the mo, I have no problems with my 1Gb memory but do often check fearing the worst.

William

William,

From what I understand the last batch was the better one, and you got yours in September 2002 like I did. HOPEFULY we'll be OK.

As they say Inch'Allah :tongue:

William
Visitor

I agree entirely with you (Gruuvebot). However, if you consider the total cost to Sony if they admit thre is a problem I think it unlikely they will ever acknowledge it.

I wish you well and would undoubtedly feel aggrieved if Ilike you I was one of those affected.

William

kee-lo_

I agree entirely with you. However, if you consider the total cost to Sony if they admit thre is a problem I think it unlikely they will ever acknowledge it.

Have to agree with William there - Sony will NEVER admit to being wrong, like many other companies. They see it as a WEAKNESS, which is a shame as every human being makes a mistake.