Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Failure on Sony Vaio PCG-GRX316SP (UK Model)

gruuvebot
Visitor

Memory Failure on Sony Vaio PCG-GRX316SP (UK Model)

Hi All,

My VAIO: Sony VAIO PCG-GRX316SP, 1.7 GHz Pentium M, 512 MB Ram

I have been noticing over time my Vaio getting slower/sluggish and some unusual 'minor errors' at boot up, and in the general the system being a little shaky.

Recently, I notcied that the system was reporting only 256MB of RAM ( :anguished: !!!). More unfortunately my VAIO has passed its one year warranty. :cry:

I have tried reseating the memory modules, and I have also tried exchanging them from their original slots to see if there was a particular chip that was dead. But it boots up either way and reports 512MB ram.

I understand that their are other threads for the MP model, but I thought that I would start one for SPers.

Has anyone found a fix for this memory slot problem other than wedging something in between the cover and the chips? Sony Support is really expensive and often completely unhelpful. If anything it seems from all the posts that I have read that it may even be something engineered into the laptop - like the use of low quality solder or components for chip seats.

If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

Damian

40 REPLIES 40
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

This should give much hope to all owners who have experienced memory slot failure - and also to those of us who haven't, yet . . . . . :smileygrin: