Join now - be part of our community!

Notebook performance

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Notebook performance

Read on another thread about the Sandra performance testing tool from SI Software, so I thought Id download it and run it on my VAIO (PCG-FR415B).

I ran the Performance Tune-up Wizard and it gave me a few warnings :smileyshocked::

1) Warning 2533 : Disabled host controllers are present. Check BIOS settings. Tip 2536 : System has no SMBus/i2c/BMB bus support.
2) Warning 2533 : Processor 1 : Disabled host controllers are present. Check BIOS settings. Notice 224 : System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
3) Warning 1206 : ATI Technologies RS200 PCI to AGP Bridge : PCI latency too high. Device could hog the bus for too long.

Anybody got any views as to whether I should be worried with any of these warnings, not sure what the first two mean :thinking: but the 3rd one looks like something I should potentially change? (see below)

Warning 1206 - Device latency is high - the higher the latency, the more data a device can transfer in one go. The device may be hogging the bus for too long. Some video card drivers set the latency high in order to perform faster. The problem is that other devices (especially sound cards, network) wont have enough time to transfer their data resulting in lower performance (e.g. sound drop outs, lockup). Generally, all devices should have latency of 32, with high performance devices (e.g. video card, disk, giga-LAN) with 64 and AGP to 128. Fix: Go to BIOS Setup\Settings\PCI & AGP Devices and reduce PCI latency to 64 or 32. Contact the mainboard manufacturer or video card manufacturer for more details.

And who said I only use these forums for flirting :tongue: , see I can ask a techie question if I try hard enough :wink:

7 REPLIES 7
robpaxton
Explorer

I wouldn't worry about any of the warnings:

Most of those are fairly common and are only performance tips.

kee-lo_

Yeah Sandra is a picky piece of software, it likes things to work how it sees fit.

leven
Visitor

I have never used Sandra.
ff my system seems to be running well with no reported errors I just let sleeping dogs lie. Enough problems around without going looking for them.!!
Ignorance is bliss. :laughing:

Elaine

kee-lo_

I have never used Sandra.
ff my system seems to be running well with no reported errors I just let sleeping dogs lie. Enough problems around without going looking for them.!!

Elaine

Couldn't agree more Elaine :smileygrin:

faithx

Fair enough guys (and Elaine). Suppose its not a good idea to start messing around with my BIOS

Good one Elaine :laughing:

leven
Visitor

faith,

There are so many tests and programs around which are supposed to improve all aspects of your system. If everything is running well I think you are best not to mess with them. They can end up giving you problems. So just carry on as usual if you are problem-free and thank your lucky stars for it. :slight_smile:

Elaine

faithx

I know your right Elaine, thanks again :smileygrin: