Join now - be part of our community!

TERRIBLE SUPPORT FOR SONY VAIO LAPTOPS

profile.country.en_GB.title
mikelotinga
Visitor

TERRIBLE SUPPORT FOR SONY VAIO LAPTOPS

Just want to share my experience of having just bought a Sony VAIO laptop:

Shortly after purchasing the laptop I noticed that the date and time was completely off, so changed it. Switched off, back on again and it was wrong. So, checked in the BIOS, changed again, switched off, back on, and date/time all wrong.

So, problem: motherboard battery almost cetainly needs replacing (i.e. I was sold a laptop with a dud or exhausted CMOS battery).

Step 1: contact Sony support via e-mail form. Received no response, not even acknowledgment of enquiry being received.

Step 2: try to register the laptop with Sony in the hopes that this would speed up support response. Unfortunately the auto-form on the sony.co.uk will not accept the model number of my laptop (SVE1511E4E), even though this is printed clearly on the back of the laptop. So, try a different model that is close - result: form will not accept this either.

Step 3: investigate telephoning Sony support. Realise that Sony are running a bandit 0905 premium-rate 'support' number (i.e. don't phone us unless you have an hour to spare and don't mind paying about 20 quid for the privilege). Decide not to continue with call.

Step 4 (slightly exasperated by this point): try filling in e-mail form again, with additional information. On submission of form (not before), am told that e-mail support is 'down for maintenance'.

Step 5: consider returning VAIO laptop and buying from a company who can actually provide support for their customers.

ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH EXPERIENCE. WELL DONE SONY.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
mikelotinga
Visitor

JoyRG, your experience is just emblematic of companies that are so large that their employees couldn't give a rat's about the customers, and know full well that the likelihood of any comeback for their poor service is slim, due to the huge pool of people muddying the water. I suggest whenever you call any service personnel the first thing you do is obtain a landline number (proper geographic) on which to call them back if you get cut off, as well as the first name AND surname of the person dealing with you. Then they at least know that if they muck you about there is a good chance it will come back to them.

It really oughtn't be like this. The main point of buying these types of tools is meant to be to make our lives easier and more enjoyable. Based on recent experience with Sony and other technology providers I'm really starting to think it's actually the opposite. My stress levels have definitely increased due to my dealings with them anyway. Very disappointing.