Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade VGN-G11VN to 1.8" SSD

profile.country.en_GB.title
foweyboy
Visitor

Upgrade VGN-G11VN to 1.8" SSD

Hi All

I am still going strong with my trusty old Sony Vaio VGN-G11VN and was thinking of installing an SSD hard drive to replace the existing hard drive - to increase battery life, and make it faster (and probably lighter?).

I know I need a 1.8" IDE (PATA) drive. However shopping on Amazon I find that there are 40, 44 and 50 pin versions... does anyone know which one I need?

Also can anyone recommend a brand at all - I see complaints about both Runcore and Supertalent's lack of support.

If anyone has upgraded their Vaio to SSD I would appreciate your input please!

Thanks

Matt

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
srmans2
Visitor

Hi,

Sorry but I can't help with your question but I ran into problems with replacing my HD with an SSD in a 2012 Vaio, see my recent posts. I have not been successful and I might have to revert to a vanilla OS install.

Some points to consider:

• Do you have a recovery disc set?
  • Does your laptop BIOS boot from UEFI or Legacy (BIOS)?
  • Does your laptop have an "Assist" power on button?
  • Is the system disk a GPT or MBR partitioned disc?
  • Does the old disc have a recovery partition and/or other hidden partitions? Do you want to keep these?

Cheers, Stephen.

foweyboy
Visitor

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your input.

I got rid of the original OS (Vista!) as soon as I got the laptop back in 2007 - went back to a dual boot XP / Ubuntu. Now I'm running a dual boot Windows 7 / Ubuntu. So I don't have or need the recovery media/partition as I'll probably give it a fresh install if I'm feeling keen, or just transfer the partitions to the new drive if I'm feeling lazy.

Re. BIOS/UEFI - it's got a 'Phoenix TrustedCore Setup Utility' - which when I google suggests it is UEFI - see http://www.eltan.com/tcbios.htm - however I would like to know how this would effect my upgrade plans? Does it have to be UEFI to support these new SSD drives?

No to 'Assist power on button'. What is this? What purpose/function?

It is MBR not GPT (it's 2007, and the internal HDD is 100GB)

Any ideas on the 40/44/50 pins question? Or where I can find a detailed spec of the machine?

Cheers

Matt

srmans2
Visitor

The UEFI BIOS interface to installed OS is a relatively new technology and when using older disc imaging software it can be a problem. I would think Imaging software release in the last year should support such BIOS boot modes as it has become more popular. The installed OS is tied to the boot mode so I don't think they can be mixed i.e. an OS image installed using traditional/legacy BIOS i/f will not work well or at all on a UEFI boot mode and visa-versa.

The assist button I would presume is new to recent Vaois and helps users boot straight into the recovery tools.

It isn't necessarily a restriction of a PC's BOIS but I've read that the UEFI boot mode often expects a GPT format hard disc. This is not the case in your system but in newer systems it might be the case as it is in mine. Likewise, legacy BIOS boot mode might expect MBR format hard discs.

On the connector front I think it would be wise to open the machine up and take a look and compare what you see to online pictures if you can. It is the only way to be sure.

ladelah18
Visitor

Hi Stephen,

I also have a VGN-G11VN, still going strong - andam looking to upgrade to an SSD. I am not awareof the above issues, but Ihave had the case apart. Just get the specson the HDD - which is a 100GB MK1011GAH toshiba unit (system/devices) The datasheet for that series says its a ZIF/LIF PATA 40 pin.

You might already havethat info though. 1.8" HDD USB enclosures can be had for about 5 GBP from ebay - useful if you intend todo a more leisurely migration.

I still have XP installed, and am wanting to go to win 7, which I see you alreayhave in place. Any issues in installing win7? how is performance compared to XP?

I see here that Sony only provide an update package for win7, no driversoranything else. What about drivers? motherboard/graphics particularly?