Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEC3S0E - No Shutdown!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
levilyn
Visitor

VPCEC3S0E - No Shutdown!!

I am having problems shutting down my computer.  I click shutdown it goes through the shutting down process and then re-starts again.  Can anyone suggest anything.  I have just done a full factory restore but it is still doing it.:smileysad:

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi levilyn,

This is, to my knowledge, the second report of an E series turning itself back on.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/170098?tstart=50

Is your notebook still under warranty as this would certainly seem to be a hardware fault?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
levilyn
Visitor

No it will not be in warranty I don't think.  But surely this item is dangerous if it never switches off and they should have some obligation to help users.

Message was edited by: levilyn

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi levilyn,

With the power adaptor removed try forcing a shutdown by pressing and holding the power button. If it still fails to shut down then remove the battery. Then reattach the battery, reboot and try to shut down again.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
levilyn
Visitor

Hi Rich

Tried both of the above options and it still comes back on.  Just a note that when it comes back on it always takes me through vaio and asks if I want to restart or exit the system plus other option to restore.  I always say restart or shutdown.  Do you think if I took VAIO off somehow this may do something.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi levilyn,

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by " when it comes back on it always takes me through vaio and asks if I want to restart or exit".  Which Vaio program is this?

Also after a forced shutdown does the notebook turn on by itself or do you then have to press the power button to restart - the answer to this should give an indication of whether this is a hardware or software problem.

You could also try starting in Save Mode (tap F8 at boot to access this option) and then see whether the shutdown process completes.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
levilyn
Visitor

Hi Rich

The software that I am talking about is VAIO Care Rescue Version 2.1.0.06290

It turns on by itself.

I tried starting in Save Mode using F8 it opened up but then when I went to shuitdown from the Start Menu

it closed down switched itself back on and then ran VAIO Care rescue again.

Lynda

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Lynda,

You haven’t said whether the machine switched back on by itself after either a forced shutdown or removal of battery, but working on the assumption that it doesn’t then it would seem to be a software problem or possibly a failing hardware device causing Vaio Care to run in a continual loop.

It’s difficult to know what the cause of this is but initially I would try disabling Vaio Care from running. If available you should find this option either on the Startup tab of System Configuration (click Start and enter ‘msconfig’ in the search field to enter System Configuration) OR in Scheduled Tasks.

If that option doesn’t work then uninstall Vaio Care from Control Panel.

This will at least confirm or otherwise that it is Vaio Care that is preventing complete shutdown. Quite how we then find what is causing Vaio Care to loop I am uncertain...

I don’t have Vaio Care on any of my machines but have you looked for any logs that might give a clue as to what it is trying to fix?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
levilyn
Visitor

Hi Rich

After a forced shut down and removal of battery it still switched itself back on.  I will try getting rid

of VAIO Care.  I will let you know.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Lynda,  In that case this can only be a hardware problem as software has no control of a startup when the machine is fully shut down.  Go ahead with disabling Vaio Care but unfortunately I don't think this will cure the problem.  Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat