Join now - be part of our community!

Wifi / lan connection drop out

mik3_jon3s
Visitor

Wifi / lan connection drop out

HI
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have just bought a vaio pcg-grt995mp and I am using it to do a lot of internet stuff (I develop internet apps) so I am constantly on the net and I also often use Skype (p2p voip). My problem is that my connection constantly drops out on both the lan and wif i :thinking:
Is this a known problem or should I send it back to get fixed??
Cheers
Mike

11 REPLIES 11
mdr368
Visitor

I'm having the same problem. I have purchased a TR1MP. if i plug in a lan link it works fine for everything. But if i use the wireless lan, it connects, then after a few seconds (depending on the network activity) it disconnects. After another few seconds it will connects again, or sometimes i have to connect it manually.
So basically, i need help too.

mik3_jon3s
Visitor

I have sort of fixed my problem with the wifi. I had set up the wifi to use WPA and after a bit of investigation found that it was this that was causing they lost connection cause its a big buggy.
Hope this helps

mdr368
Visitor

Mine still won't work. Ive tried changing from WEP to WPA-PSK, i've tried changing channels, ive upgraded firmware and drivers, but it keeps disconnecting. my laptop can see the wireless access point, but just has trouble staying connected to it. Any ideas anyone? i just dont know if its a problem with my laptop or my netgear access point.

eric_q
Visitor

have you tried the update?
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio/WLAN/WLD_int_1217.exe
the Windopws hotfixes might help as well.

also switch on the SSID broadcast on your AP, that might help.

let us know, please.

William
Visitor

When you say it is dropping out on the LAN, do you mean when it is physically connected via a network cable.

If so it would mean that it is a common problem with both wireless and wired possibly ruling out your wireless settings.

William

mdr368
Visitor

my SSID is always set to broadcast. When i plug in my lan cable, it works fine, not a single problem. I only have a problem with the wireless connection. I'll try that update when i get home later, but i think ive tried everything i can and still no luck.

pc
Visitor

hello

I've got the same problem of deconnection with my grt895MP since i put a wep key in my di 624+.
:cry:

thanx for help

mdr368
Visitor

well, after countless attempts to fix my wireless link, i decided to go out and buy a sitecom 802.11G wireless PCMCIA card. i intended to do this eventually as the TR1MP only have a wireless capacity of 11mps. So anyway. i installed the card, and it worked fine with my AP, untill the next morning that is. When i booted up my machine, the virus software would not start, my volume control would not work, and i had absoulutely no access to my network connections.
So i ran the faithful XP recovery console to uninstall the new card and all was ok.
Then, instead of installing the software for the new card, i just installed the driver for the card to work. Now it all seems to work a treat. i just have to use wondows to manage the card instead of the sitecom software.

Gareth_Lock
Visitor

I searched the knowledge base and found the solution under Wireless Zero Configuration which needs to be started when the computer is booted up, then stop it when the connection is made and the signal strength is good. I use a Netgear 802.11g ADSL wireless router with my 995MP and had these problems all the time. Funny enough I was travelling last week and managed to log into some WiFi hotspots (admittedly without WEP enabled) and stay logged in without any problems.

Hope this solves your problem.

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk