Join now - be part of our community!

DVD Writer in Vaio PCG-FR215S problems

gkegke
Visitor

DVD Writer in Vaio PCG-FR215S problems

:cry:

Hello, i need an advice.

My DVD Writer is more and more producing errors writing CDs and DVDs. It looks like it is damaged. (Toshiba DVD-ROM SD R6012)

Ist there any software where I can do tests to see if it is really a hardware defect and I have to bring it to the sony support or if there is another problem ?

I use this laptop daily and would like to give it away for some time, especially with all the private data on it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi, maybe you should use Nero's tests, they do burning tests, speed tests etc. If there's a fault, it's best to get Sony to see to it. As for private data, put it on another PC and re-format.

gkegke
Visitor

Hi Kee-Lo,

let me come back to this item again. :smileyconfused::
In the meantime I have done testing and found that bruning for cd's seems to work o.k. and there seems to be problems with dvd-r and dvd-rw media. Is there any advice or testing result about which media manufacturers to use with the r6012 and dvd media? (each -r and -rw)

Thanks for any help in advance. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's a bit pot luck.
Try Memorex, Sony and TDK.

coyer
Visitor

Information about SD-R5002 and SD-R6012 DVD-R/-RW Drives
Toshiba has detected a potential write error when writing to DVD-R discs using the follow Toshiba DVD-R/-RW drives, the SD-R5002 (for Desktop PCs) and the SD-R6012 (for Notebooks). The frequency of occurrence is very low, but can be corrected by updating the drive's firmware.
For DVD-R/-RW drives that were factory installed in computer systems when purchased, please contact the manufacturer of the computer system for information.

If you purchased a DVD-R/-RW drive as a bare drive, please refer to the applicable firmware download below

You can get the firmware from toshiba.com. http://sdd.toshiba.com/cda/main.aspx?Path=/818200000007000000010000659800001516/81820000011100000001...

But I haven't managed to install that because it says that there's no CD-ROM-driver or something like that...