Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

One down, one to go.

I've redone the initial setup and I now have hdmi sound to my sound system however it is muted when first switched on. It wasn't like this before.

Any ideas on how to switch on with sound available?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Folkfanger wrote:

One down, one to go.

I've redone the initial setup and I now have hdmi sound to my sound system however it is muted when first switched on. It wasn't like this before.

Any ideas on how to switch on with sound available?

Sounds like a HDMI CEC issues. Disable it on the TV and your AMP.  Then enable again on TV and AMP.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Folkfanger

Sorry, I have not had this before. May be worth trying initial set up again. I have noticed that the system is more stable with the system on standby rather than switching off at the mains.

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

I've turned off bravia sync at the tv and hdmi control at the sound system. turned both back on and reinstated hdmi control from the tv which sends a signal to the sound box. This hasn't improved matters though.

So my sound system still comes on muted when controled by the TV. This didn't happen until yesterday, so why now? 

Been on 12 hours with this now. and almost full time since getting the TV 10 days ago on other issues There has to be a better way to do things. Imagine if I'm a little old lady who buys a tv and has no idea about settings. what then?

Nil Desperandum Sonyitis!

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

Sound muting on startup solved.

Settings- Sound - Digital audio out - Auto 1 (comressed without change)

Prior to this it was set to PCM

TV now starts up with the sound on my audio system "on" (not muted)

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

Anyone notice how as things get a lot more complicated, manuals are getting thicker but information is getting less.

My old audio manuals were about 30 pages, mainly things I would never need but it was all there. This sony manual is well over half an inch thick but has only 14 small pages touching on how my tv works. The rest is all languages. Oh, and for every 14 pages there are 5 pages of health and safety (anti litigation nonesense)

I reckon the manufacturers know that people like your good selves will help each other out so they don't need to bother.

rab1973
Explorer

Hello.Just joined looking for answers.I bought the KD55X8509C 2 months ago.Wish id of stayed clear of this product.The tv has crashed twice this morning (remote does'nt work...black screen with sound) You have to reboot at the mains ???? It has the worlds smallest on-off button at the back.....i'm frightened of cleaning it because the stand wobbles so much.....only 1 hdmi worked out of the box......NO operating instructions. Bluetooth keeps switching off (touch remote doesnt work) WIFI keeps switching itself back on (even though its on ethernet) Power save keeps swithing off.Picture settings change on there own. This tv cost me a grand.I choose Sony because they seems top quality.This tv got some great independant reviews (i suspect they paid or were on drugs)Get it sorded out.PS....the satellite tuner is beyond a joke.....no tv guide.....wont record anything (a main reason for buying) What more can i say ??????????? 

john.pringle

@rab1973 If your tv has blank screen with sound easiest way to get it working again is to hold power button on remote down till it comes up shutting down Then it will reboot and be fine for a while this problem has been logged when you say remote doesn't work I presume you mean the small touchpad remote if so it probably needs resetting the info is in the manual I was given links to it by helpful members but I don't know how to post links I know there are a few problems with this tv but I'm sure Sony will sort them out my x8509 now only has a couple niggles so I'm sure it will be sorted in future updates Any questions just ask plenty of people on here willing to help

Sent from my iPad
Nibor99

Sorry you are having so many problems - I am sure others will chip in
and help.

I had the blank screen and sound issue when trying to shut down my Sony
Android TV with the remote.

Following the advice of a Sony engineer I did a full factory reset (it
was a bit of a pain as it was like getting a brand new TV and having to
set it up from scratch) but it worked for me.

The reset, on my TV, is found in settings/storage/factory reset.

HTH
john.pringle

I did a factory reset as advised by others and for 5 days it was fine then the blank screen with sound came back although it's frustrating I'm sure it will be sorted.

Sent from my iPad