Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AG9 OLED TV

profile.country.GB.title
provostkaypark

Sony AG9 OLED TV

Sony announced this new 2019 model in early January 2019 and on the website it was featured but it stated it would be 'available soon'.  A couple of days ago the prices for 2 of the models appeared online and I got a wee bit excited that I could finely buy this product.  Today the prices have disappeared and the 'available soon' sign reinstated- it had disappeared when the prices were quoted.  I have contacted Sony on more than one occasion only to be told to keep looking at their website.  Surely a big company such as Sony must know when they launch new produts they have the backing up in order for the benefit of potential customers - their most important people!!  Sorry Sony this is not good enough.  I might change my allegiance to another brand if this continues much longer.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Probably the price was not yet included, you'll see it will be a matter of a few days, I would say that it's worth waiting.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @provostkaypark,

We would like to inform you that the catalogue prices for the Sony AG9 and AG8 OLED TVs have been announced and released on the website.

The major difference between the two models is that the AG9 will be sporting the X1 Ultimate image processor and be compatible with Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit whereas the AG8 will not. Note that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support will launch in ZG9, AG9, XG95, XG85 models in 2019.

The 55" and 65" models will be available for delivery towards the end of May 2019 followed by the 77" model later towards end of June.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
provostkaypark

I now have my Sony KD-55AG9 and still learing about it.  I have however struggled to find the IR Blaster connection on the rear of this TV!  Is there one and if not why not?  Regards

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @provostkaypark,

Congratulations on your new Sony OLED TV! Hopefully you are enjoying the picture quality and hardware performace.

To answer your question, there is no IR Blaster input on your TV by design. So I hope you haven't been misinformed by any salesmen about this.

The fact is that your new TV is quite revolutionary when it comes to remote controlling it. You have the option of integrating it with the 3 major smart home solutions offered by Amazon, Google and Apple*. And you also have the ability to directly command your TV using your voice, as you can set it to listen to your voice at all times. In addition your remote control makes use of Bluetooth technology to communicate with your TV which means that you can remote control your TV from practically anywhere in the house. Gone are the days that you needed to point your remote towards the TV**.

If all these options are not to your taste, you are also offered the choice of remote controlling your TV through your home WiFi network using an app on your mobile device or tablet. There you will also have the ability to directly control all settings by using your mobile device as a trackpad for a cursor on your TV screen or for using the keyboard on your mobile device to input text on your TV.

Cheers,

Dutchice

* soon to be available by firmware upgrade

** Note that turning ON the TV still requires you to point your remote control

profile.country.GB.title
provostkaypark

Dutchice

Start up screen with bannerStart up screen with bannerMany thanks for your repsonse.  I think I understand you!  I have also discoverted that this TV has done away with the IR Blaster and I don't know why Sony keep changing things so often.  My AF8 has this facility.   I have tried but as yet unsuccessful to marry the Sony remote with the TV but find it can only change the volume.  What am I doing wrong.  A step by step guid would be appreciated.  I now have another problem which I have conacted my supplier for his

action - no matter what I set the display mode to eg. cinema/standard/sport etc. after some 5 minutes it reverts to vivid all on its own!!  Further advice would be grately appreciated.  I am also faced with a screen when I switch the TV on with a banner along the bottom.  I have attched a photo of it.  How can I do away with this?  Rsony ag9egards

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @provostkaypark,

Good to hear you are exploring the functions of your new TV.

• Regarding the Vivid Mode issue please read this article. Please perform all three steps starting with Make sure...
  • Regarding the banner in your picture, I would refer you to our TOP community expert: @royabrown2 AKA @royabrown he will join the conversation soon.
  • Regarding the remote, you will need to provide us with some more details so we can verify that on our end for you

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
provostkaypark

Dutchice I will try as suggested and see what happens.  Re the remote what further details are you wanting?  Regards

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@dutchice wrote:

Hi @provostkaypark,

Good to hear you are exploring the functions of your new TV.

• Regarding the Vivid Mode issue please read this article. Please perform all three steps starting with Make sure...
  • Regarding the banner in your picture, I would refer you to our TOP community expert: @royabrown2 AKA @royabrown he will join the conversation soon.
  • Regarding the remote, you will need to provide us with some more details so we can verify that on our end for you

Cheers,

Dutchice

Well, thanks for the compliment, @dutchice, but my special expertise is mostly about the YouView interface on these sets.

And these current Sony TVs far outstrip my 2015 model :frowning2:

About all I can say about the banner is that it does look very much as if the TV is producing it, to show you what is connected. I’d expect it to be there for a few seconds, though, and then disappear; if it is there permanently, maybe pressing the i (information) button should shift it?

And I wonder where it got ‘BSkyB’ from; did you name the input that, @provostkaypark ,or did the set apparently figure this out for ltself, or at least from something that came over in the HDMI handshake?

Normally , If something like this banner was on by default, I’d look in the manual to see how to turn it off, but perhaps you have the usual thick Sony manaual that doesn’t tell you much more than how to set it up, in 47 different languages?

If so, then its a case of trawling the Settings option, looking for something that might be it....

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thanks @royabrown2 as usual for your immediate assistance. I first had the impression from the picture that the bar was part of the STB UI. The reason why I called for your help. But after looking closely again I realized indeed that it is the previously known ‘action menu’ displayed by the TV UI. 

@provostkaypark 

This menu bar offers you the ability to remote control your BSkyB box connected to HDMI 3 for a number of most frequent used functions. To exit the menu simply click Exit from the options you see or tap on your remote control’s Exit button. 

Regarding your remote control question we need to know step by step what you do and how far you get before you can’t go any further. Also let us know if you receive any kind of message or otherwise mention what functionalities don’t work on your remote. 

Cheers,

Dutchice