Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Blu ray player to Hi Fi

cjscouse
Explorer

Connecting Blu ray player to Hi Fi

I have a Sony BDP-S5200 Blu ray player which i am trying to connect to my Philips FW-P750 mini hi fi system, but i'm having no luck. The Blu ray has digital coaxial output and the Hi Fi has L R input, i purchased a Digital/AV converter but this hasn't made any difference, can't get any sound. Only sound is throught HDMI to TV. Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong and what i need to do. My old standard DVD used to work through the Hi Fi.

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There are many Optical to RCA Analoge converters on the market.  Which particular one do you have?

Cheers

cjscouse
Explorer

all it says on it says on it is Digital to Analog Audio Converter.It Coxial & Toslink inputs and R?L output jacks

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I think the problem is that you are trying to connect both Coaxial and HDMI at the same time. You can only connect one or the other, see below instructions...

Ideally you need a dedicated Home Theater Receiver although this isn't an absolute necessity.

The reason why your old DVD player worked like this was that DVD players had separate Audio Out (RCA connectors) as well as a scart connection. DVD players allowed you to use both connectors at the same time. Your Blu-ray player on the other hand has the option of using either HDMI or Coaxial to handle the video and sound. You cannot use both at the same time.

The best solution for you (if possible) is to connect your Blu-ray Player to your TV using a HDMI cable and then connect the Audio Out from your TV to your Hi-Fi. Some TV's have Audio Out RCA connectors for this purpose, you could connect them direct to your HiFi. You will need to check if your TV has an Audio Out.

Connection.jpg

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

ive connected my sony blu ray to my bush tv via hdmi cable. And ive tried connecting the tv to my panasonic hifi via RCA leads. But theres no sound coming out of the hi fi speakers. Why isnt this working? 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @silverwing33,

you might need to turn on the "speaker" output of your TV - but as long as you get audio when the player is connected to the TV and you turn up the TVs volume itself, the issue is related to the TV, not the player.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

ive gone through and twiddled all the audio settings on my tv, but nothing 😕 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@silverwing33 wrote:

ive connected my sony blu ray to my bush tv via hdmi cable. And ive tried connecting the tv to my panasonic hifi via RCA leads. But theres no sound coming out of the hi fi speakers. Why isnt this working? 

Hi there,

I think it would be best if we first establish if you have sound relayed from your blu-ray player through the TV speakers, if not you need to change a setting on your TV. Normally if you connect a HDMI device you need to change the TV output to the correct channel, for example if you've connected your device to the 'HDMI 1' input on your TV you then need to change your TV's output to 'HDMI 1' as well in order to view/hear the blu-ray player.

If you have already done the above and sound is being relayed through your TV speakers from your blu-ray then the issue is with your Hi-Fi settings, you will need to change to the correct 'input' on your Hi-Fi, ie, the one which allows palyback via the RCA connection. If you can upload a link to your Panasonic User Manual it would help identify the correct settings for you.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

the sound comes out of the tv fine. 

and i already selected the right setting on my hifi. 

ive connected HIFIs to TVs in the past with no problems. This is the first time ive had a problem doing this. And im wondering if the fact the tv and dvd player are connected via a hdmi cable is the problem. As im trying to connect the tv and hifi via analog audio cables. 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Double check that the RCA connectors on your TV are Audio Out. Some TV's only have audio in RCA's