Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Blu ray player to Hi Fi

cjscouse
Explorer

Connecting Blu ray player to Hi Fi

I have a Sony BDP-S5200 Blu ray player which i am trying to connect to my Philips FW-P750 mini hi fi system, but i'm having no luck. The Blu ray has digital coaxial output and the Hi Fi has L R input, i purchased a Digital/AV converter but this hasn't made any difference, can't get any sound. Only sound is throught HDMI to TV. Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong and what i need to do. My old standard DVD used to work through the Hi Fi.

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

all the manuals are telling to do what ive been doing. Im at the end of my tether right now

15725373292698923622794331505535.jpg

ive even tried a converter

1572537387797925273698339824126.jpg

back of my dvd/blu ray player

15725374814575032235647692022373.jpg

back of my stereo

15725375713413632323073730703833.jpg

and finally the back of my tv! 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I can understand your frustration, these things can be a real soul destroyer if you can't get them working. 

Looking at the image of your DVD player I'm puzzled why you would have the 'Digital Coaxial Out' connected at the same time as the 'HDMI' connector, normally you would use one or the other but not both at the same time. HDMI is capable of relaying audio and video signals so connecting an RCA cable as well seems pointless.

Additionally have you tried using another set of RCA leads to rule out a bad cable? It might seem obvious/silly but I've seen problems like this before where a bad cable is to blame. It's also quite possible the RCA connections on the TV are not outputting a signal but that might be more difficult to diagnose.

Can you please confirm you have observed the following instructions and set the appropriate 'AUX' setting on your hi-fi?

Annotation 2019-11-01 123353.jpg

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @MK_Slinky,

I don't get your remark regarding @silverwing33  using the COAX-out for audio directly to the stereo?

I too use a similar setup by connecting my UBP-X800 to my TV via HDMI and sending the audio to my 5.1 System via COAX (without adapter in my case).

What I would try @silverwing33  is to set the audio-setting of the player to a different format, since I think the adapter you are using only supports certain signal types. The player though probably outputs DTS or whatever it is set to, which the adapter might not be able to transcode into a stereo signal.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

because it got that point where i was just trying any and every combination. the back of my dvd player only has a digital coaxial port 😕 and a hdmi port. Thats all 😕 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @silverwing33,

if changing the settings (like explained in my last comment) doesn't work out, simply use a 3.5mm audio jack to Chinch (red/white) cable from the TVs headphone port to get the audio to the stereo.

Maybe your TV even has a dedicated output with full size Chinch connectors which you can use with the cables on hand.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

yeh this is what a geeky tech friend has advised. The cable is being delivered. If that doesnt work....next step would be to get a new tv 😕 

profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

ive been all through the settings on all 3 devices. No difference 😕 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Well I could be misunderstanding how the connections are being made but from the photos it appears that @silverwing33  has the DVD player connected to the TV via HDMI and RCA Outputs from the TV to the Hi-Fi. 

Maybe @silverwing33  can clarify. ?

I notice further down you make reference to using the headphone jack from the TV to the Hi-Fi, somehow I doubt this will be effective as the signal will not be amplified sufficiently. It's worth trying but I'm sceptical it will work as intended.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @MK_Slinky,

no, the RCA cables you see (yellow, white, red) are from a completely different device.

The player is connected via HDMI to the TV and from the players COAX audio output @silverwing33 connected a cable which then feeds into an adapter which is supposed to convert the digital output into Chinch.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
silverwing33

SUCCESS!!! I MADE IT WORK!!! 

the adaptor was faulty, the replacement arrived today and it worked straight away!! yaaaay!!! 

so what i did was the digital coaxial went into the converter and then the output was the analog coaxial (red and white) to the stereo.