Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Harry,

Sorry you're still having difficulties.

Quinnicus has kindly created a new post here which might help you:

[AV Receivers] Pass Through - Potential Solutions

There's some Sony TV settings which might be of interest, it's certainly worth checking if you haven't already seen the post.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Harrywillis

My HDMI Passthrough problem gas gone away. Bought new TV - Sony Bravia 42

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

That's cheating!!

Still, I'm happy you've finally found your solution, albeit a rather expensice one. :nauseated_face:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Harrywillis

Ye, expensive, but so far, seems worth it. 

Bought a Sony Bravia  KDL-42W705B, which handles the HDMI control and works well with the amp and my other equipment. Very happy with the picture quality, despite the guy in Richer Sounds trying to talk me out of a Sony! 

profile.country.GB.title
Newtothis

Hi Guys, 

I got a refurbished DN1040 today, had this problem for a while. Happened to fix it whilst reading this thread.

I turned "audio out" to "AMP + TV".

This worked imediately, I now have HDMI pass through. I hope it works for everyone else.

profile.country.GB.title
Newtothis

Sorry should have included this:

Panasonic Viera

DN1040, connected to a PC via HDMI, QNAP 251 Turbo.

I had tried multiple leads, settings and hdmi ports on the tv and avr before trying the above idea.

If this works for you please do leave a message.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Newtothis 

Hi there, thanks for sharing your recent success! :slight_smile:

I would like to add however that although this might indeed work for some people it can also cause an unwanted side effect for owners of 2 channel stereo TV's / Recorders like myself.

I discovered that with the Audio Out set to 'AMP+TV' I could only get PCM playback form either my TV or Panasonic DVD / HDD Recorder. However, setting it to 'AMP' only allowed me to enjoy Dolby Digital audio output from either device.

Maybe you will / have noticed the same thing?

profile.country.GB.title
metaphase
Explorer

STR DN840 also has the same HDMI pass thru function problem. Found out by Costco Tech support that it is not compatible with new (2019) Samsung TV's.

profile.country.GB.title
metaphase
Explorer

If I was you, I'd stick with the Yamaha. You just have to find the right settings for your preference. There're much more surround sound settings available on the Yamaha than there is on the Sony. Sony has an intrinsic problem with the pass-thru's and they need to correct it. You're wasting your time in obtaining another Sony replacement.