Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8 froze after installing Microsoft Office

profile.country.en_GB.title
dguyomar
Visitor

Windows 8 froze after installing Microsoft Office

I purchased a new Sony Vaio laptop on Saturday and installed Microsoft Office for the trial time, shortly after the cursor become unresponsive and would not open any programs. I did a fresh install but the same thing happened when I activated MS Office.

I thought it might be the hardware and got a new laptop as the vendor was happy to swap it. However on activating the pre installed MS Office the same issue occured.

Is Windows 8 incompatible with MS Office or is it just the Sony Vaio model?

I bought the SONY VAIO E Series SVE1712Q1EW.CEK 17.3"

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dguyomar.

I presume this is the preinstalled version of Office 2010 which came already installed on the Vaio? Or have you downloaded a different free trial version from Microsoft?

I presume you have run Windows Update just in case there was a bug?  I think KB2727113 was released to deal with a 'hanging' issue in Windows 8.

As these Windows 8 Vaios have only just been released there will not be many users here with experience of Windows 8.  You can either try Microsoft or Vaio Support for assistance but if you prefer, please give me the full product details of the version of Office you have installed and any other information you can and I will forward it on to Sony.

However, in the meantime, let's hope another member of this community can help.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks GerryD,

I wonder if there is a conflict with the preinstalled taster version of Office 2010.?

I will flag this thread up to Vaio Support.  Any news or other users with this specific problem, please add to this discussion so Sony can find it.

:slight_frown:

Inti27
Visitor

MS OFFICE issues with Windows 8 & Sony VAIO SVE1712Z1EB

I am now on my 3rd VAIO 17" laptop SVE1712Z1EB.

The Microsoft site states that Office 2007 is compatible with Windows 8.

Having installed Office 2007 from CD, as the VAIO was configured with auto updates, the MS Office 2007 updates for Windows 8 were downloaded (7 of them).

Once these OFFICE updates were auto applied & the VAIO restarted, the VAIO would allow logon, but then go into an indeterminate state. Even had no effect. John Lewis PC support requested me to return The VAIO in both cases as no remedial action was possible.

A ticket has been raised with John Lewis PC support, but no resolution advised to date.

I don't dare download MS Office 2007, 2010 or 2013 trial until advised by Sony or John Lewis that it is safe to do so.

Not great!

GerryD

Inti27
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo,

sounds plausible.

Can't believe that MS Windows 8 O/S is not compatible with MS big hitters such as Office, especially as MS support site confirms it (inc the 2007 version).

Fingers crossed Sony support will get to the bottom of it soon !

Inti27
Visitor

Any sign of a response from Sony support yet?

If inability to install & run MS Office not fixed soon, will have to return the new VAIO 17" laptop SVE1712Z1EB as unfit for purpose, which would be a shame.

Gerry

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, I've not heard anything.  It may help if you contact Vaio Support yourself - the more  reports they have the merrier!

As a matter of interest, are you trying to install the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Office 2007?

katiegood
Visitor

I am on my 3rd sony vaio windows 8 laptop due to mouse freeze and today the 3rd one has gone too!

katiegood
Visitor

ps I havent installed anything on any of mine and it still happened!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Katie and welcome.

Does anything here help at all?

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/826423#826423

:thinking: