Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-1000X and background noise during calls

Agresvig
New

MDR-1000X and background noise during calls

Hi all

Just got a pair of the MDR-1000X, and they are fantastic for my use which is primarliy in a office environment.

However, I've received complaints from those on the receiving end during phone calls that there is a lot of noise. I understand there is no "microphone noise cancelling", however it seems the mic for voice input is overly sensitive. Does anyone know where it is placed?

Anyone else have experienced this? It surprises me, as I've read that the mic quality on these is supposed to be excellent (source).

Any advice on how to minimise this noise is appreciated

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
Gringoonspeed
Explorer

I had the same issue as you and others describe. Tried the factory reset a couple of times without any improvment. Then I spoke with a guy having the exact same headphones and they worked perfect for him. So I handed my pair in a couple of days ago. Still awaiting for the shop to get back to me.

profile.country.GB.title
bonistamas
Explorer

Yeah, I was already thinking on speaking to the guy, who is travelling on the same train every morning with the same pair of headphones on. :slight_smile:

Can I ask where was the place where you could hand it in? I feel a bit upset about sending them back via post.

profile.country.GB.title
Gringoonspeed
Explorer

I live in Dubai. I handed them back to the shop where I bought them.

kottend
New

I'm having the exact same problem.

Had a pair of mdr100abn before and they where exelent during calls compared with this ones 😞

Waiting for ansver from sony support.

profile.country.GB.title
blaxoid
New

I'm also having this problem. It's presented itself using Skype for Business/Lync where multiple seconds of my talking are being cut off, usually when there is noise. I've not had this issue with any other headphones.

Has anyone had any updates? I love these headphones for listening to music, but this is a deal breaker for me and I will be returning them to Amazon for a refund if a fix can't be found.

sahidkhamlichi
Explorer

Issue: I'm also seeing this issue as previous comments. Im using this with my PC softphone and its picking up all the background noise. Its as though the NC is pushing this to the call..

Also happens with just recording audio.

Attempted Solutions: Product Reset as suggested - Same issue

Turning off NC and placing Ambient Sound (voice), improves but dosent resolve the issue. Still not good enough for intended use.

profile.country.GB.title
boyangu
New

same here. guys please update whether sending them fixed the issue. sony this is unacceptable.

profile.country.GB.title
bonistamas
Explorer

Hi,

So I got back to Curry's PC world, and they have given me a full refund after 11 months (surprisingly). Then I tried the new version (WH-1000XM2), but that still did not fully convince me. My voice was not cancelled any more, but a lot of background noise was picked up during my test phone calls, so I finally I decided to get away with another brand. During the process of selecting my new pair of headphones, I have tested about 5-6 different products from the same price range, and it is definitely not easy to find one with good phone call capabilities. (E.g. I found a pair of headphones at £500 with amazing sound quality, but awful phone call quality). I don't think it is fair to mention other brands by name here, so trying to stay away from that.

profile.country.GB.title
jpnelson40
Explorer

The online manual suggests, I think, taking one of the earbuds off the ear and using the noise-canceling microphone which is part of the earbud, and I suppose holding it in front of one's mouth, or at least closer to the front of your face. That seems to work for me, at least it gets better sound.

It is frustrating that Sony can't make a clear manual to explain such things, or a YouTube video to demonstrate it.

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
locomaniaholl
Explorer

same experience : loved the sound for music but need to return these . No one was able to underdtand what i was saying ... am i missing something here ? how could it be so terrible with and without noise cancelling ???