Join now - be part of our community!

Hang-ups, and getting tired of them + poll

Croaticus
Visitor

Hang-ups, and getting tired of them + poll

Is there any bloody solution to ocassional system (WinXP Pro) hang-ups?? For example, I click to open Outlook Express and nothing happens. Then I click again and nothing. Then I click to open Internet Explorer and nothing. No program wants to run. But then, after a few moments, everything pops up. Even the ctrl-alt-del combination can't "unlock" it, I have to wait for everything to pop-up...
I'm getting tired of this, moreover because I paid this piece of **** (PCG-GRT996ZP) dearly and despite all updates, patches, system scans, defragmentations, inspections, insights, corrections and everything else, the system still isn't working as it should. I'm starting to believe I made a big mistake by buying a Sony notebook. And their personalized, "Sony-approved" drivers and patches are also accelerating this belief.
And yes, for a 3.2ghz 1Gb ram machine, it's damn slow! :angry: :angry: :angry:

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Does this tend to happen after youve just started up the system :thinking:

If so, Ive experienced similar problems on other machines which are caused by anti-virus software being set-up to scan the machine for viruses at machine startup time, in my case this was Norton Anti-Virus Software. While this is running I have tried to start Outlook, Internet Explorer etc. and they hang until the virus scan completes :slight_frown:

If this is the case, you would have the same symptoms regardless of the hardware youre running on.

Croaticus
Visitor

Does this tend to happen after youve just started up the system :thinking: 

If so, Ive experienced similar problems on other machines which are caused by anti-virus software being set-up to scan the machine for viruses at machine startup time, in my case this was Norton Anti-Virus Software. While this is running I have tried to start Outlook, Internet Explorer etc. and they hang until the virus scan completes :slight_frown:

If this is the case, you would have the same symptoms regardless of the hardware youre running on.

No, it's none of the above mentioned.
I have no problem with virus scanner, because it does not scan at startup, neither these problems occur at startup. They occur whenever they want.

faithx

Sorry :slight_frown: , hopefully someboby else might be able to help :thinking:

hankatten
Visitor

Did you check the already posted topic? http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5185

Try to reinstall Windows XP from scratch wihtout any external hardware connected and see if that solves the problem. Then add your additional hardware - one by one and see if the problem lies within your devices.

tellingd
Visitor

I have had a similar problem with OE on a Win 98 machine. It was the MS software rather than the PC (Packard Bell in this case).

There have been other postings on this forum where it was discovered that a piece of software (could be the AV) was trying to get an internet connection to check for updates - have you looked at the settings on your AV software?

kee-lo_

The poll is VERY biased don't you think.
I'm actually quite pleased with my VAIO :tongue:

tellingd
Visitor

A bit silly really - I didn't bother voting :smileyrolling_eyes:

kee-lo_

Neither did I.

faithx

The poll is VERY biased don't you think
I thought that, but didnt like to say anything :smileyblush: